2jzge starts then dies shortly

chilubi

Hi Guys,

I hope everyone is safe from the pandemic. I am new here to the forum and i would appreciate your inputs on the matter i am having.

I own Lexus is200 and recently i decided to do an engine swap and put in 2jzge. Where i live, its not easy to find the engines, but if you manage to find them, they come cheap. So i was lucky to find a gs300 with 2jzge non vvti, i tested the car and found no issue with the engine. So i bought it.

Next day i decided to swap 2jzge into my is200, i took the engine and the tranny from gs300 as it is and put it into my is200. After completion, the guy who did the wiring connected the 2jzge to the engine harness. He did not do anything to the 40 + 40 pins attached together, he had to deal with the other 40 pin connector.

He did his thing and the engine started, revved it, and it was fine no sign of any problem. He did that for 3 straight days and nothing suspicious. on the fourth day, it was time to connect the wires with the dashboard and other things to function, so he switched on the engine so that he can find the wires to connect with temp gauge, rpm etc. all of sudden the engine shuts off before touching any wires. He tried to turn it on again, its not. He disconnected the battery for few seconds, reconnected and switched it on, the engine starts for few secs and it shuts off. So we thought, may be an immobilizer. We took the Immobilizer ecu from gs300 and all related things, connected it but still the same, we thought may be the ecu does not recognize the key anymore, so we reprogram the key, and the same happens. changed distributor, i think it was faulty this one did not even start the engine at all. changed the Igniter, the same thing happens.

We checked for engine code and we got 12 which is RPM signal, he checked the connection from the Distributor to ECU using a tester and the signal was there. I am really stressed and kinda regret the swapping now :|

I have a video of it but i cant attched it, it says file too large, its 4.88MB

Thanks for your help.

Abe's 1987

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Authorized Seller
if you have a youtube account you can upload the vid for private viewing only and post the link here. Or you can download a video editing app and use that to minimize the video size.

Did you check all vacuum hoses, tps, iacv, is fuel pressure good, getting spark to all cylinders, injectors functioning properly?

Did you disassemble the engine at all or just dropped it straight in?

Reactions: debrucer

chilubi

if you have a youtube account you can upload the vid for private viewing only and post the link here. Or you can download a video editing app and use that to minimize the video size.

Did you check all vacuum hoses, tps, iacv, is fuel pressure good, getting spark to all cylinders, injectors functioning properly?

Did you disassemble the engine at all or just dropped it straight in?
Hi, thanks for your response!

There is a hose that i think goes to Air filter it just pass behind camshaft cover is not fitted because the gs300's is too long for is200, fuel pump is connected direct (bypassed) and the pressure is good, spark to all cylinders is checked and injectors function properly on first start but once the engine cuts off no spark but i can smell fuel when cranking.

I dropped the engine straight in, alternator not connected yet with its wire and power steering which i have to do some mods. But on the fisrt day i finished swapping the engine started with no problem. And the battery is new.

one thing we noted was there was a burnt resistor in ECU, i am far from the car if you need a pic let me know, we replace the resistor but i am not sure if he put the correct one becase the burnt one had the numbers wiped off. its blue in color and there were 3 of them together if i remember correctly. the rest of the circuit is fine no burnt marks. i took it to a different guy and he checked it and told me everything looks fine.

the video for reference

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so i have made a mistake. The video has to be uploaded to YouTube as unlisted not private. Private only allows you to watch it, unlisted is where the only way anyone can watch it is if you provide the link. All you need to do is edit the video to unlisted and you should be good to go. My apologies.

chilubi

Ok so i have made a mistake. The video has to be uploaded to YouTube as unlisted not private. Private only allows you to watch it, unlisted is where the only way anyone can watch it is if you provide the link. All you need to do is edit the video to unlisted and you should be good to go. My apologies.
No problem, changed it to unlisted.

chilubi

Did you check timing?
I brought a mechanic and what he did was he rotated the crankshaft and placed it the mark at 0 (there is a cover with mark 0, 10), he opened the distributor and place the rotor on coil number 1. He did this after the first attempt to start the engine, but still the same.

Abe's 1987

Authorized Seller
Ok so there is more to it then just lining up the marks for the timing. Here is a link to the mkiv supra repair manual which is for 2jzge/2jzgte. The timing setting is in the engine management tab.

chilubi

Ok so there is more to it then just lining up the marks for the timing. Here is a link to the mkiv supra repair manual which is for 2jzge/2jzgte. The timing setting is in the engine management tab.
Thanks for the resource, i will share it with my mechanic and i will have to explain to him, english is not his language thats why.

By the way, do you happen to have or know where i can get ECU pin out exactly for gs300 s140 2jzge? I found one for Supra on wilbo666 although same 40 + 40 + 40 pin there are some pins ni mine are blank compared to the supra one.

*Note: I am not a mechanic, i can only solve small issues myself and i know nothing about wiring. All information and ideas i am getting here i am sharing with the guys working on my car. I figured out they ran out of ideas on what to do or check. They just told me to change the ECU

chilubi

Hi again,

I have brought different mechanics to check timing and all say the timing is okay. Now the guy who is doing wiring, told me that we can use 1GFE non vvti wire harness and ECU since we dont have another 2jzge ecu.

First i want to know if this is possible to use a 1G harness and ECU in 2jzge, secondly if it is possible, what will be the effects in terms of perfomance?