Dyno:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDm5fUWnAe0&feature=channel_page

Drag:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWTOKA0KqZY

Dirty car, dirty engine bay and a slow car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drS7jdWHOR0

One more pull, a little more boost.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFKj1vCWfYw&feature=channel_page

UPDATE PAGE 13: IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey guys

Well I've got all the foreseeable parts I'll need for this swap as you'll see in the pictures below. I just picked up this 2JZ-GE yesterday and today I was able to disassemble it a little bit more to see what kind of condition engine I was looking at. The idea with this build is to go with the 7M ECU and electronics going with the XS Power T-61 turbo kit.

Since I can't really think of anything else to say... Onto the pictures:

Looks like it's Christmas time in June! Parts are on top of the futon, boxes below are from moving back from school.

Note the nasty futon cover...

My dog Turbo. He acts as a supervisor...

Apparently XS Power boxes resemble Fort Knox. Or I was just extremely incapable of opening a box...

The sea of Styrofoam peanuts that awaited me...

Quicker success with box #2.

XS Power T-61 :D

And now here's the work station with the 2JZ.

I wish people changed their oil more often...

This is my Supra.

Here's the supervisor.

Ran out of space...

OKAY! Sorry for all the pictures. I'll try to stay as documented as I can. Thanks for looking!

-Nick-

Last edited:

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Okay last few until next time:

I swear he's not cross eyed.

I had to...

What the hell is that in the exhaust manifold runner?

Photoshoot at the lake.

Thanks!

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Thanks man! I'm Nick I've talked to you a couple times on the phone and through email a couple times.

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Okay today I removed the head and I had a few questions that I'll type above the picture in question.

Cam gears removed and intake camshaft taken out.

One more picture of the work station.

Here's the head.

Now there is a shit ton of what I think is carbon build up on top of the pistons, how would I clean this?

This is just a slight indication of how dirty the spark plug valley is. This was after breaking loose one of the spark plugs...

Any thoughts about cleaning up the carbon build up?

Thanks!

-Nick-

hottscennessey

Authorized Seller
Contributor
Hey Nick!
Nice to see you started a build thread. I'll be checking in here regularly.

removing carbon buildup. Degreaser/gasoline works, then use some break cleaner and brush to clean the stubborn stuff.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Fletch124 - I got it from a local guy who bought it to use in his 240SX but he changed his mind and went 2JZ-GTE.

Scott - So any kind of degreaser and a brush? Like a scotch bright pad or something?

Thanks!

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
I had a question, as you can see in some of the pictures I have an Unorthodox Racing pulley on the crank. I was sternly advised to remove it and purchase a stock pulley due to there being no dampener. I was told that its mostly used on drag cars to go one pass down the track at a time.

So basically...
Do I need to ditch the Unorthodox Racing pulley or keep it? It has to come off either way to replace the front main seal.

Thanks!

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
So I was cleaning up the pistons today with this awesome little scrubber bit for a drill. Just about to finish #5 and it breaks... Figures lol.

The first 1-4 looks great! I'll get pictures up soon.

Working on getting the crank bolt loose later today. Going to try bolting the starter up with flywheel and a breaker bar... Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

-Nick-

DETONATION666

DECEPTICON MK3
Authorized Seller
Did you just get the XS turbo or like the whole kit they have on NA-T? I was thinking about getting one of their kits but I dont think that I would be able to use the intercooler and piping.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
DETONATION666 - I bought their T-61 Turbo Kit off of Club NA-T. Mark is a great guy and more than willing to help you out. The intercooler pipes/kit is sold separately. So far I'm pleased however I haven't put any of the goodies on my car yet I'm sure they'll do alright.

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Okay so today was a productive day. I didn't finish all that I wanted to today but I'm still pretty satisfied.

Today:
Oil train flange drilled, tapped and mounted.
Both pans cleaned like crazy (one had to have a dent beaten out) and RTVed.
New Motor Mounts mounted.
Union bolt purchased and installed. (Thanks for the help Ben)
New timing belt installed.
Replaced front and rear main seals.
New timing cover installed.

Onto the pictures:

This is what I used to drill the hole and worked perfectly!

Here's the outcome:

The shavings: (If anyone does this and you have the ability to drop your pan and do this out side of the car... DO IT! Thats a lot of stuff to fish out of a mounted pan)

Finished result:

Onto the pans:

Note the dent in the lower left:

Better:

Pan installed:

And thats it for tonight. Time for a shower and sleep... Should be bolting the head to the block after some cleaning of the deck. Woot! Also should be pulling the 7M out on Monday. Think it's developed a BHG (along with the already existing rod knock) during the process of this build. I think it's mad I'm getting rid of it.

Thanks!

-Nick-

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Authorized Seller
those pans dont look that clean... or maybe its just me?

but goodluck on the rebuild and the swap. im sure you'll enjoy it a lot afterwards.

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
lppro - Thanks! Hopefully this will turn out well...

Rennant - I meant the inside of the main section of the pan. (gasket surface as well) however the pick up cover part of the pan was pretty damn clean. Should have seen it before...

Thanks!

-Nick-

Last edited:

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Okay some pictures just so show some damaged bearing action. Not spun but they do look like they might have been starved for oil at one point in time.

Here they are:

Only thing that kind of sucks, but not really lol, is I did a lot of work cleaning up the deck which I didn't need to do but oh well. No biggie.

And yes of course I have a picture:

Okay done for tonight. I'll let you guys know what the machine shop says. *Crossing Fingers*

Thanks!

-Nick-

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Authorized Seller
Subscribed :) Nice work so far, I'm liking the picture rich thread! Looks like I need to post more pics of my dogs to keep up :biglaugh:

You in Arlington VA or TX?

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Thanks man! Haha yeah pictures of the dog just seemed fitting at the time.

I'm in Arlington, Texas. Not sure how long of a drive it is away from a fellow 2JZ-GE-T MKIII. Are you on 7M ECU and harness?

I was thinking about the rest of the stuff I can do while the block is in the machine shop...
I figured I could:

Take the CPS off of my car and drill the holes ahead of time.

I might be able to run the intercooler piping considering the setup will be very similar to the 7M with the intake manifold. (DOK33 did you have to do any cutting on the car while running your intercooler piping? I plan on having to cut the pipes.)

Tap the 2JZ fuel rail to use my 7M FPR.

Now onto stuff I just need to get done when 7M/Harness are pulled. Could I do the wiring outside of the car? As long as I put the plugs for the ECU at a logical place.

Wiring following Scott's post : http://www.supramania.com/forums/showpost.php?p=481801&postcount=34

Grind the bracket to run A/C. Now which bracket do I need to grind? I was looking at the PS bracket picture you had on your thread DOK but I couldn't make out which bracket that was on my engine.

What else am I forgetting?

Thanks guys!

-Nick-

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Authorized Seller
Cool, you should come down for the fall Hill Country cruise :)

I am running 7M electronics, and you can wire everything up before dropping the motor in no problem and then just run the ECU connectors through the firewall once the engine is in.

For the PS-I know your engine isn't there, but if you can kind of hold the PS pump on it's bracket above the A/C comp with the 7M outlet plate on it you can probably see where it needs to be ground. Basically just need space to get the lines/bolts in there. Seeing Bigzavs would help too as it took me a while to figure out what people were talking about :)

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
When in the fall is it? I go to school in Indiana and I'm renting a house up there this year so I'll need to leave around the 22nd to go up there and get settled in.

Okay cool I just wanted to make sure. What about the VSVs underneath the 7M intake manifold? Just make sure they're plugged in and bolt them to the intake manifold on the 2JZ?

The sensors in the 7M thermostat housing... Where do they thread in on the 2JZ? I found a similar sensor near the rear of the head on the 2JZ and was wondering if thats where it goes.

Thanks a ton man.

-Nick-

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Authorized Seller
Cruise is usually in October so that might not work...

I just ditched the VSVs and clipped the wires back, the 2J ones are in different spots and I didn't feel like figuring it out. Haven't noticed any issues. As far as the temp sensors, they're both towards the front of the motor in the block, I thought I had a pic but I can't find it. I know there was one in someone else's build thread though, Yankiwi maybe?

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
I haven't really been up to much aside from cleaning and painting. I actually cleaned the oil pan instead of just cleaning up parts of it. I'll get finished pictures up tomorrow hopefully.
So I cleaned:
Oil Pan
Cam Gears
Valve Covers
Lexus AFM

I painted: (Both flat black)
Upper timing cover
Cam Gears.

Since the timing cover has already been cut by the previous owner and I cant find another cover, I'm using this McDonalds style cover :) My logic behind painting the gears was "Well they're going to be showing whether I like it or not... Might as well make them "disappear..." Lol

I need to paint the valve covers but they definitely need bead blasting first.

Pics:

Cleaning supplies and cam gears. Left untouched and right has been cleaned:

Closer:

Cleaned up valve covers. That's hardened dirt and grim. I CANNOT get it off with degreaser or scrubbing or both for that matter.

Upper timing cover:

Cleaning the pan. I don't have a completed shot of it but this is a comparison of the side that was cleaned and obviously the side that hasn't:

Welp that's it so far.

Should be taking the 7M out tomorrow. Woot!

Thanks!

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Thanks man!

Pulling the 7M today. Well hopefully. There isn't much of the day left but I don't have too much left.

Unbolt the AC comp.
Unbolt the PS pump.
Undo various grounds around the engine.
ETC.

The shifter and DS are out. Trans fluid drained, coolant drained, oil drained, radiator taken out, fan taken off, slave cylinder unbolted.

When I took the DS out, the rear of it slipped out of the yoke and put a nice dent into the pavement... Lol. Good thing I was a ways away.

However it looks awfully cloudy outside and im not sure if I'll be able to pull it today... But I've got someone picking up the turbo and DDP tomorrow so thats got to be off for sure.

Thanks guys.

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Okay. Today I was able to get around to pulling the 7M out but I didn't take any pictures.

Kidding...

Ready to take out.

Rear end up on stands.

Insert hoist here:

So um... I needed another breaker bar... I didn't have one. But I did have...

7M on the stand

Worn out clutch anyone?

Sleeping.

My dumb ass broke an engine mount bolt haha. It was early, I was tired and... Nevermind, there is no excuse it was a dumb mistake lol.

Thanks for looking guys.

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
The block is back from the machine shop. Woot! Tomorrow is assembly time :D

Pictures pictures pictures...

Freeze Plugs from China

Bearings and piston rings.

Thanks for tuning in.

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Also suggestions on exhaust? I'm currently running the Tanabe HM and I love the look however it's too quiet. Should I do something crazy and delete the resonator or gut the muffler? Mind you this system was quiet when running straight pipe from the turbo back.

I'd like to keep the muffler however if I found a nice exhaust to really get the sound of a singled 2JZ, I'd be happy.

What are you fellow 2JZ-NA-Ters running?

Thanks.

-Nick-

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
It was originally for a test fit however they are very snug. I had seen some people use them on Club NA-T and I've seen no issues yet. I originally bought these as the hardware store was the only place open and we couldn't find the correct size bolts so we found it in screws.

So I'm debating on keeping them but I might switch them out.

-Nick-

Bigzavs

86.5 1JZ Single Turbo
Authorized Seller
looks good nick

you should paint that block while its out, make it look all perdy

XofXtimeX

Clean 2JZ
Authorized Seller
Man I was thinking about it but I can't decide on a color. I'd love to go with flat black but theres not much of a point in painting it flat black if I want to trace leaks lol.

Grey maybe? I don't know. Thoughts?

-Nick-

dok33

My fuel pump precedes me
Authorized Seller
Grey is a good color for leak detection and still looks good. Just don't do what I did on the first motor I built for my 4-Runner way back when:

:biglaugh:

On the exhaust, I'm running a 935 3" DIY exhaust with a Megan GT muffler. It's loud but I really like the sound...

hottscennessey

Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'm doing mine grey, I did it on my other block and it came out great.

I think that any 3" exhaust will be fine for your goals Nick.