1MZ FE cam gear to crank shaft timing is off.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
The first time I replaced the timing belt on this car it ran well, it even seemed to have a little more power. Then I changed the idler bearing," seemingly" all the belt timing marks and all the timing marks on the engine are properly lined up. I Now the car doesn't run as strong as it did when I did it the first time. I'm pretty confident I have the crankshaft and the exhaust marks lined up. Car runs but power band is sluggish just after idle about 2500 to 3000 RPM.

Now, this is hard to explain""::: In order to align the intake camshaft ( the rear camshaft ) you need to use a mirror to see the witness mark on the camshaft back plate, to align up the timing mark on the cam gear. But when you maneuver, or rotate the mirror for the best viewing angle the line on the cam gear moves. When I mean "moves" of course I don't mean it "physically" moves it "optically" moves. This makes it hard to be accurate.

Here's what I think"::: I believe I one tooth off, I'm either one tooth advanced or retarded. I believe I need to advance it one tooth, I think the intake side is one tooth retarded. Or the crank shaft is one tooth advanced, ... I think.

What did I do wrong???

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Use a paint pen and draw a line across the rear cam gear. It should go across the top of one of the tooth’s. You’ll be able to line up both marks without an optical illusion.

Koenigturbo

Authorized Seller
Is the cam likely retarded? I can hear it through the exhaust, it sounds constipated. But yes I'll do the paint line, Thanks for your help dude!