1JZ with 6262 turbo and .58 exhaust housing limit

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I have used the search function to no avail, so now I have come to making a post. The car is a 1jz non vvti with 272 cams and a 6262 turbo with a .58 exhaust housing currently. I'm going standalone in the spring and was wondering if that exhaust housing is going to limit me while trying to make 500ish whp?

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
You might make somewhere close to 500 but that is a small rear turbine housing. Id suspect 450 perhaps a little more

A70nut

Authorized Seller
You might make somewhere close to 500 but that is a small rear turbine housing. Id suspect 450 perhaps a little more
Alright, thanks! I think I'll switch to the .70 housing I have sitting around then just so I know I have the headroom.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
.58 will hurt top end at the upper limits but less then you would think. Maybe 100 WHP off the top vs .58 / 1.0 AR

Last edited:

A70nut

Authorized Seller
.58 will hurt top end at the upper limits but less then you would think. Maybe 100 WHP off the top vs .58 / 1.0 AR
Ah. Ok, I'm just a bit concerned because I haven't seemed to see any dyno sheets of anyone with a .58 hot side and I dont know what kind of power it will be killing up top. I'd love to see some 500+whp dyno sheets with that exhaust side just so I know it can be done.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Ok, I think I'll just see what it does with the .58 housing and change to the .7 next winter if I feel I need more, thanks!

suprahero

naughty by nature
Staff member
Authorized Seller
Seems like the .58 is going to make your car a rolling smoke show. That 6262 will spool so quick with that small a rear housing, I feel you're going to have no traction. I would think you'd want a .81 or something closer to that.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Seems like the .58 is going to make your car a rolling smoke show. That 6262 will spool so quick with that small a rear housing, I feel you're going to have no traction. I would think you'd want a .81 or something closer to that.
Yeah, I'm sure it'll hit hard, but I plan on roadcoursing and autocrossing the car this upcoming season and I want the response to be as good as I can get it without a quickspool valve or a smaller turbo. I love the response around town too, positive boost by 2500rpm makes it a bit better to cruise around.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Authorized Seller
With the 272 you can rev to 8-9k. So full spool by 3500-4K is not bad when Revving that high.

twin2turbo

Authorized Seller
With the 272 you can rev to 8-9k. So full spool by 3500-4K is not bad when Revving that high.
I recommend getting a some more valve train components than just 272 if you're gonna turn out 9k. Also you have to remember that the power band will shift right with cams so you're not gonna see that full boost at 3500 unless you have a ridiculous small turbo.

My 1j is setup to turn 10k but I have a alot of work done to achieve that.

A70nut

Authorized Seller
I recommend getting a some more valve train components than just 272 if you're gonna turn out 9k. Also you have to remember that the power band will shift right with cams so you're not gonna see that full boost at 3500 unless you have a ridiculous small turbo.

My 1j is setup to turn 10k but I have a alot of work done to achieve that.
This is the reason I want to keep a small rear housing, I start making boost low, but because of the cams shifting the power band, power still doesn't come on hard until just over 4,000 rpms(currently untuned onstock ecu though).

twin2turbo

Authorized Seller
A new turbine housing is only like $250, I'd see what you can do and if you're not satisfied get a bigger housing and try that out. Also never hurts to have options

A70nut

Authorized Seller
A new turbine housing is only like $250, I'd see what you can do and if you're not satisfied get a bigger housing and try that out. Also never hurts to have options
Yeah I have a .70 that I took off to put this on so I'll go back to that if this doesn't keep me happy, but I'd rather give up a little power up top for a bit of area under the curve down low.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Seems like the .58 is going to make your car a rolling smoke show. That 6262 will spool so quick with that small a rear housing, I feel you're going to have no traction. I would think you'd want a .81 or something close to that.
complete opposite, you'll be able to control the throttle much more linear. With a .81 it will be an on-off switch frying tires for sure.

On my old sp63 on my 7m I used to get 15 PSI in 5th at 3500 rpm with a .58, however then I changed it to a .70 and a .84. The .58 certainly makes the car more controllable vs the .84. The bigger ar's act like an on-off switch. They really don't change the boost threshold at all they simply help the car get a few pounds of boost before you hit the threshold.

Last edited:

Blackdawg

Taco Soup..my rides
Authorized Seller
Keep it under .7 if your auto crossing and driving around town mostly. Be way more fun that way. If anything a .63 housing would be a good middle ground perhaps. But I'd leave the .58 on there

A70nut

Authorized Seller
Just thought I'd finish this thread off for anyone who is looking for some answers in the future. Got the car tuned last night, with the .58 housing it made 560whp and around 390ft/lbs on 25 pounds on 93 with the torque curve being pretty linear once boost came on. So the .58 housing in t4 can indeed breathe enough while providing a quicker spool.