1JZ vs 2JZ question

87M-GTE

Slow
Authorized Seller
I have a few questions about the interchangability of these two engines:

-Is the cylinder bore of both the 1jz and 2jz engines the same? If so can the 2jz pistons be used in place of the 1jz stockers? Would the performance be effected?
-Is the "stroke" gain of the 2jz achieved by crankshaft lift or connecting rod height?

-So, would a 2jz crankshaft, rods , or pistons be able to be used in a 1jz block? And what what benefits would be yielded?

Thanks
Sam

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Bore size is the same, but In Japan the 1jz pistons are considered an upgrade over the 2jz pistons. Crank on the 2jz is 86mm stroke vs. the 1jz is 71mm or 72mm I don’t remember right this moment. The bore size is the same 86mm. the Deck of the 2jz block is taller to accommodate the longer rods.

Supra-Man18

Authorized Seller
Bore size is the same, but In Japan the 1jz pistons are considered an upgrade over the 2jz pistons. Crank on the 2jz is 86mm stroke vs. the 1jz is 71mm or 72mm I don’t remember right this moment. The bore size is the same 86mm. the Deck of the 2jz block is taller to accommodate the longer rods.

Just wondering, how are the 1jz pistons an upgrade to the 2jz ?

soapra

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The 1jz pistons have shorter skirts and are lighter. I think compression changes also. I have never cc'ed a 2jz block with a 1jz piston, maybe I will try it, to give you an accurate number.