1JZ Swap ecu question

verkzo

So I have been doing a lot of research into swapping in a 1JZ vvti into my 88 supra. There aren't many threads out there regarding the immobilizer. I've seen people do the swap and have to end up going to a standalone and getting a new harness and everything just to make it work. I am wondering could I just swap the ecu with the immobilizer to one without and be fine? Or is standalone going to be the only option? I plan on keeping this motor pretty close to stock so a standalone wouldn't really be needed with my setup and I would like to not have to throw an extra $1,500 on top of the price of the motor when I could just get one without an immobilizer at the price. Thank you.

I'm doing the same swap atm and don't want to have to spend that money either. Theoretically you can get past extending the harness by drilling a hole in the firewall for the ECU to then be mounted on the driver side. But then the immobilizer is still an issue. There are ways to reprogram the ecu, and then a couple on how to reset the key, or trick the ecu into thinking that there is already a key in there that's the right one. BUT, this is all just what I've heard, as I haven't been able to test it all myself yet. I'll post again after I give it a shot, because as you, spending another $1,500 when it can be avoided isn't something I'd love to do.