1990 JZA70 limited edition

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
So heres my new-to-me 1990 Supra JZA70 limted edition. I sold my 2011 wrx with an extensive parts list just because I was getting bored. I wanted something totally different. So cue Japanese classics in Richmond VA. Great company and very easy to deal with. The car came in and within 10 minutes of the ad's posting I called. I was second in line. The first person had 24 hours to make their deposit. It was a long 24 hours lol. Needless to say I ended up with the car. Since then only a few modifications:

DM exhaust
DM downpipe
Cube SS
AEM boost and wideband
Kenwood ddx774(jap radio only went up to 89.9fm!!)
Halman MBC
Walbro 255
Greddy EManage ultimate

Interior Innovations Replacement leathers/suede inserts
HKS 264 cams
CX racing manifod
Gt35 turbo
Mk4 550cc's and 7m resistor box

Eibach springs
Bosch 044 pump
DM fuel dampner bypass
DM FMIC
Radium Hardwire pump kit
Radium 1jz fuel rail
ID1050x
Aem V2

Pics of the supra!!!! I can also add some of the old wrx if anyones interested

there was massive buffer trails on the car when I got it so had to do a correction. Came out alright

Interior innovations replacement skins. The first pic I sent the wife. it didn't work :-(

You can see the darker leathers in it. They were hard and brittle and falling to pieces. Pic has horrible lighting

Wife doing a quick detail before one of the kids soccer games. Cant go to soccer in a dirty car!!!

Last edited:

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Wow, very cool! Now get some suspension upgrades on there so she looks like she means business! ;)

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
Nice car, this is the second time I've seen a car with the same set of wheels I have. Your offset look more manageable though.

Dan McBoost

I don't roll stock whips.
Authorized Seller
*thumbs up*

Nice choice and welcome to Supra Life.

I picked up my MR2t from them last year. I also had a great opinion of them, although the cars timing belt was fucked and I wish they checked timing belts for >25 year old cars.

... I am going to call them now actually... (I did, and over the last few months they added checking the belts and videoing them to their checks).

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
yeah using flickr for the pics. Also the car currently getting a single turbo kit fitted in. Work keeps me pretty busy so I only get 30 to 60 minutes a night to work on it. Ill upload some random pics of the progress.

Also learned I have the TTR brake ducting that probably wont work out for me when its finally back together. Theyre neat little pieces.

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
an install day for a friend that snapped a rear axle.

Walbro 255 in. Have never had issues with any cars with this pump. So another car another walbro!

And the teardown begins!!

Removing factory twins with the longblock in the car sucks. No easy way around it and very tight spaces especially the bottom exh mani nuts

Stock jza70 intercooler. Replaced with Driftmotion

tiny turbo!!!!!

And just a quick mockup. Excited

And heres where I stand. The downpipe has to squeeze in here some how. You can see the steering column and the wastegate. got it in there but its super tight so gonna be working on some things. Also the dp is roughly about 18-24" short to connecting to the driftmotion exhaust.

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
well changed out the injectors last night and no too happy. Ordered JDM supra 440's off ebay. My fault for not checking them. Turns out they are usdm supra 550's. So new high impedance injectors were ordered and these will be going up for sale shortly.

Also HKS 264's have arrived!!!

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
Another set back.

mk4 550's and 7m resistor pack installed. the emanage I'm using just cant keep up it seems. The way the emanage ultimate works is it takes the ecu signal and tweaks it to give more fuel. For example I could be at 90% idc's and the emu will adjust and only show say 70% idc to flow the proper amount for the bigger injectors. The issue comes is that I'm maxing out the factory idc signal. Unlike a lot of cars when the factory ecu sends out a signal of 100% it then 0's out. you can not adjust a 0% signal so I end up with massive breaking up above 6k rpm.

resolution: AEM v2 on the way

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
Some more updates for everyone!!!! I have now switched over to AEM v2!!! On top of that theres a new fuel setup since the 550s have reached past my comfort zone. new setup for fuel is ID1050x, DM fuel dampner bypass, bosche 044 with filter for intank setup, radium top feed rail and hardwire kit. Also converted from batch fire injectors to sequential.

Oh and blew the exhaust gasket from the cx racing kit. Lesson learned, oem MLS gaskets only lolol.

20180128_153952
by Bobby Geida, on Flickr

20180205_165609

20180217_175546

20180218_163606

20180224_111929

20180224_123751

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Authorized Seller
What exahust manifold are you using?
An OEM manifold gasket won't fix the blowout if the manifold is warped from welding during manufacture.
Have you verified the flange is flat?

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
Using cx racing. Its verified flat when I pulled it back off. Beside the cheap paper gasket cx gave me the front bottom bolt on the exhaust manifold was not tight. The stuff was too long to get a socket in there and get it snuggled up. When I replaced with OEM gasket I pulled the stuff and shortened it with the angle grinder. I was then able to properly torque it down.

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
time for more power. took off the turbo a little too early. waiting on the new one to come in!!!!

Last edited:

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
Now that fuel is all good time for an upgrade!!!!

s366sxe vs cxracing gt35

s366sxe vs gt35 vs one of the stock 1jz turbos

And in its new home!!! gotta finish up the dp but it runs and no leaks!!!

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
well another update......

Went to the track Friday night. I guess buying a completely stock car I should have planned better and upgraded clutch. Its toasted. Car came home on a flat bed and started pulling trans last night. 2 more bolts for bell housing and the clutch/pp bolts and its out. There is clutch disk material everywhere!!!

Gotta figure out a clutch situation. Any suggestions? Car ran 117mph last run with no burnout and no launch at all. I mean it was a 2.9sec 0-60 because it slipped. it also got so bad at the end of the run I redlined 5th gear. (yes I killed it royally). so even with a shitty run the mph is great for 11's and with a clutch that holds should be even better!!!!

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
Actually ordered a new orc twin disk last night. I have pics of the stock clutch carnage I created lol

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
The r154 was in fine shape but decided to have it rebuilt by Freed Engineering!!! They are going to be doing all new sychros and martin crawler pieces including shift forks!!! Should be a couple weeks for all the parts to come in and trans put back in! Cant wait to get back to the track and actually be able to run the car the way I want.

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
well RHDJapan can get F***ed. They had a sale on their site on the orc twin disk for 1400. Bought it. A week later I finally get some kind of communication from them that they cant keep up on their inventory on their site and they want $300 more to send me the clutch. Mean while its still listed at the discounted price. Got my refund and ordered a Comp clutch stage 3 today. Used this clutch on my 520hp Subaru before so should be all good for this setup. More waiting.....

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
trans is back in my hands!!!! finally. seems like a lot of parts got replaced and I cant wait to try it out. Ended up with a spec 6 puck so we'll see how that plays out. gonna be reinstalling over the next couple nights.

also ordered some drag radials. the federal rsrr were spinning at the track. think the sidewall is just way to stiff on them. MT on the way!!!

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
oh and heres the stock clutch carnage for all to see what an s366sxe on a stock clutch will do

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Man that clutch is toast, burnt toast. Let us know how the shifting feels or if you notice anything better after your r154 rebuild. Did you do with the Marlin Crawler red 2.0 shift forks or just the regular version?

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
the red.

update, trans is in and just the small stuff needs buttoning up. should be moving tomorrow night. DS, Fluid, pp/fw bolts and a slave need bolts and then its good to go. Cant wait.

nickel and dimed

Authorized Seller
Nice work. That car looks beautiful. Got any dyno numbers? I mean a 0-60 at 2.9s with a slipping clutch, must be pushing some decent figures.

How did you find the transition from AWD to RWD?

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
2.9 60ft sucks. The 117mph with that launch and a.bad clutch is what I'm excited about. I dont have dyno numbers as I tune myself. Infact the night I went to the track was supposed to be for me to add timing. The car has no timing up top.

I always tune afr, boost then timing

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
all is well and car is fully back together. The older celica speedo cable worked perfectly, just a little long. but hooks into the digital dash 100% and into the r154 with no issues. Best of all it was $17 lol.

Clutch feels fine so far. being a sprung 6 puck it graps but still very slippable so far. that should tighten up as I get some miles on it.

The rebuild feels a lot tighter and smoother. Its feels a lot better from my 5 mile test drive.

Also got these in today. Gotta get them mounted and balanced and finish the clutch break in to give them a try

nickel and dimed

Authorized Seller
2.9 60ft sucks. The 117mph with that launch and a.bad clutch is what I'm excited about. I dont have dyno numbers as I tune myself. Infact the night I went to the track was supposed to be for me to add timing. The car has no timing up top.

I always tune afr, boost then timing
Nice, I misread the post about 60ft, thought it was 0-60. Oops.

I can appreciate tuning yourself, but I can imagine it must feel like forever waiting for runs to test a new tweak.

Bluemax189

Authorized Seller
had an incident with fire under the hood. The turbo feed line I had always had a little leak on the block side of line, so I replaced. all went well checked for leaks in the garage and nothing. went for a drive, got into boost and it blew. line nowhere near anything just a crap Chinese line. Spewed oil over everything and started a fire. Just a couple vac lines to replace but the most damage was my hood. Not happy ruining the factory paint.

Here you can see where its spewing oil from

Heres the hood

And heres the new drag radials on the car

mobes

Supras are never 'done'
Authorized Seller
Man that is a bummer about the paint. I'm glad it didn't take the rest of the car with it, though.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Sorry to hear about the fire, cheap Chinese parts are a bummer. Best thing to do is carry a fire extinguisher in the car at all times.

Those drag wheels are looking sick. Any information on the rim/tire set up?