1987 MKIII Supra Turbo

Martin77

Hey guys. I'm buying a 1987 MKIII Turbo soon from a guy off Craigslist. It's got 186,000 miles and only 2 owners. The engine is brand new with less than 6,000 miles after the head gasket blew. They went ahead and just replaced the whole thing.
I know it's an old sports car so it's gonna cost money to keep it up and running. Luckily I have a good steady income so I'm pretty sure I'll be able to keep up with it.
I've done quite a bit of research but is a treasure trove of info that you can't easily find.
My question is what are some prevalent issues with the 87s? What are some ways to prevent these issues? Regular maintenance or more?

Jonnymkiii

High Altitude
Authorized Seller
The biggest problem you'll have is finding replacement parts; although there has been word and rumors that Toyota will begin to produce some legacy parts for the MKIIIs.

Also, there are some parts that are different on 87-88 than the 89+ models and I think the 89+ year parts are more common and easier to find. I have an '87 as well and there have been times I wish I had an 89+ because of that reason.

Zazzn

OLD school
Authorized Seller
Issues with

-87's are rust in rear spare tire well, due to leaking tail light gaskets.
-Rust in wheel wells due to age stones and general old weather proofing
-Low blower will fail due to resistor
-buttons for air con and tems peel off
-head gasket as always,
-rear subframe cracks at the diff if there is too much power

That's all i can think of right now.