1986.5 Supra Restoration Project

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Sorry no updates for a bit, but we've made some progress. Got some new tires for the car finally and an alignment! They were just some basic ones called Ohtsu but we actually have four matching wheels on the car now!! They're just the original supra wheels so I didn't want to spend too much money. Eventually there will be new wheels and actual performance tires, but not today. When I asked the tire shop guy how bad the alignment was, he just laughed. Driving back was so much different! Even though the rest of the suspension is still shot, but it drives so much better! It's crazy how much difference new tires and wheels pointing in the same direction do. I'm excited to fix the rest of it.

Oh and also, it looks like we got new tires just in time. I think this was recent because of the new steering, but damn.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Ok I didn't want to ruin the mood on my last post, but when we got back from the tire/alignment shop last time, there was a giant puddle of coolant in the driveway and it was gushing like crazy. At that point it's been a long day and we had to get other things done, so we left it alone for a while.

Today we finally had some time to investigate. Turns out, this was the culprit:

This tiny piece of hose was behind and under the thermostat housing, making it a GIANT pain to replace. But we finally got it and drove the car. Everything is dry and looking good....besides all the other things completely broken of course.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Yep.
I fought with that one not too long ago.
Also replaced the thermostat and thermostat housing to cylinder head gasket, and water pump and a pile of other things coolant related.
Not a drop since!

Once you have a couple coolant leaks from crappy hoses and old stuff you start to go overboard and replace everything.