1986.5 Supra Restoration Project

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Wow, that is not good news.

What is the VIN?
Have you looked up the history you are able to pull on this vehicle?
What state was it originally from?

Try the VIN here:
https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

This will tell you if a vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by cooperating NICB member insurance companies.

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
You could also spend about $12 to get a history report if you don't have one already.

Here is a link you can use:
http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/ebay.do?siteID=202&vin=5NMSH73E47H051674
Just replace the VIN # at the end with yours.
The VIN # on that link is just a random vehicle I found for sale somewhere.

Or if you are lucky you can find someone who has an autocheck account or carfax account to run the VIN # for you.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Thank you guys, I appreciate it! I did a few free checks and it wasn't stolen or total anywhere, but that's about it.

JT2MA70L4G0008543

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
So......

Looks like this car was never ever registered, or the records are lost. Originally from Louisiana though. received_362477847674327.jpg

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Wow, I have never seen a car come back with zero ownership records...... seen one that had an 18 year gap but never nothing

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Thank you guys. It's been disheartening trying to get the paperwork figured out. I even tried going to the Florida Highway Patrol office to see if they can help but they were less than willing to do anything.

Justin727, I'm in Orlando.

I'm going to try calling the Louisiana DMV but not expecting a lot of results of this point. Might have to part it out and scrap the shell. The motor is very healthy and at only 91k miles hopefully worth something.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
I thought about making it a track car only, but we don't have a trailer, or a truck that can tow the thing. And I had a cop friend do a search through their database, and they couldn't find anything either. The LA dmv is useless. It's impossible to get through on the phone, and they don't answer their email link. At this point, the most logical choice is to part out anything valuable and scrap the rest. I'm sorry guys, I had big hopes for the car, but there's just no point in keeping it if I'll never be able to drive it on the road.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Can you not just apply for a new title?
Unfortunately not, because this VIN doesn't exist in the Florida DMV database. So even if I was the registered owner (which technically I'm not), they wouldn't have a record from which to print a new title.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
It's a long shot, but try calling Toyota Customer Service. Perhaps Toyota can supply a manufacturers certificate with which you can get a title. Or, maybe they have a record which dealer got the car in the first place. At least that's a starting point.

Years ago when I bought a utility trailer via Northern Tool, and it came with a manufacturer's certificate. (I forget the proper name of the document.) I took that to the DMV who turned it into a title.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Thanks for the tip Asterix! I called Toyota USA Customer Service and they actually looked through their records, but they admitted that data from before the 90s is hard to find, so all they had was the car's information (year, model, trim), but coudln't actually say where it was sold or any other information.

Also, it turns out that most junk yards need the title to buy the car from you, so even that's not an option. Unless something magical happens, I'll do my best to sell it and have to scrap the rest, because the best I could get is a couple of hundred. There has to be someone who wants an engine with 91k miles, or all the other small parts that are actually still working.