1986.5 Supra Restoration Project

Piratetip

Far From Maddening Crowds
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Wow, that is not good news.

What is the VIN?
Have you looked up the history you are able to pull on this vehicle?
What state was it originally from?

Try the VIN here:
https://www.nicb.org/vincheck

This will tell you if a vehicle has been reported as stolen, but not recovered, or has been reported as a salvage vehicle by cooperating NICB member insurance companies.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
You could also spend about $12 to get a history report if you don't have one already.

Here is a link you can use:
http://www.autocheck.com/consumers/ebay.do?siteID=202&vin=5NMSH73E47H051674
Just replace the VIN # at the end with yours.
The VIN # on that link is just a random vehicle I found for sale somewhere.

Or if you are lucky you can find someone who has an autocheck account or carfax account to run the VIN # for you.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Thank you guys, I appreciate it! I did a few free checks and it wasn't stolen or total anywhere, but that's about it.

JT2MA70L4G0008543

JDMMA70

Authorized Seller
So......

Looks like this car was never ever registered, or the records are lost. Originally from Louisiana though. received_362477847674327.jpg

GC89

BoostRodeo
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Wow, I have never seen a car come back with zero ownership records...... seen one that had an 18 year gap but never nothing

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Thank you guys. It's been disheartening trying to get the paperwork figured out. I even tried going to the Florida Highway Patrol office to see if they can help but they were less than willing to do anything.

Justin727, I'm in Orlando.

I'm going to try calling the Louisiana DMV but not expecting a lot of results of this point. Might have to part it out and scrap the shell. The motor is very healthy and at only 91k miles hopefully worth something.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
I thought about making it a track car only, but we don't have a trailer, or a truck that can tow the thing. And I had a cop friend do a search through their database, and they couldn't find anything either. The LA dmv is useless. It's impossible to get through on the phone, and they don't answer their email link. At this point, the most logical choice is to part out anything valuable and scrap the rest. I'm sorry guys, I had big hopes for the car, but there's just no point in keeping it if I'll never be able to drive it on the road.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Can you not just apply for a new title?
Unfortunately not, because this VIN doesn't exist in the Florida DMV database. So even if I was the registered owner (which technically I'm not), they wouldn't have a record from which to print a new title.

Asterix

Lurker of Power
Authorized Seller
It's a long shot, but try calling Toyota Customer Service. Perhaps Toyota can supply a manufacturers certificate with which you can get a title. Or, maybe they have a record which dealer got the car in the first place. At least that's a starting point.

Years ago when I bought a utility trailer via Northern Tool, and it came with a manufacturer's certificate. (I forget the proper name of the document.) I took that to the DMV who turned it into a title.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Thanks for the tip Asterix! I called Toyota USA Customer Service and they actually looked through their records, but they admitted that data from before the 90s is hard to find, so all they had was the car's information (year, model, trim), but coudln't actually say where it was sold or any other information.

Also, it turns out that most junk yards need the title to buy the car from you, so even that's not an option. Unless something magical happens, I'll do my best to sell it and have to scrap the rest, because the best I could get is a couple of hundred. There has to be someone who wants an engine with 91k miles, or all the other small parts that are actually still working.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Soooooo....... what had happened what.......isn't that how all good stories usually start? Anyway, after a few months of sadness and not being able to get rid of the car in any way, I found another path to getting what I want. Had to do the paperwork in a different way, but the short version is that I now have title, registration, and plates!!!! My Supra is road legal!!!!!

What that means is I can make a serious plan of what I want to do with the car, and how to get there. We had a few celebratory drinks and gave it a wash.

The first thing that needs to get done is the steering. It's still leaking like crazy. I'll pull the rack and pinion to see what shape it's in, and then will make a decision about getting a new unit or getting a rebuild kit.

By the way, is this the right location for this thread? I started it in general discussion back in the day, but is there a specific section for builds?

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Glad to hear you figured it out.!

Don't get a rebuilt rack, get a new one.( If you can)
I went through a huge headache for a rebuilt unit.
Now that I got "something" installed I can tell it's core is a worn out unit, it has a dead spot near the middle.
I plan on swapping it out again soon, I can't stand it.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Soooooo....... what had happened what.......isn't that how all good stories usually start? Anyway, after a few months of sadness and not being able to get rid of the car in any way, I found another path to getting what I want. Had to do the paperwork in a different way, but the short version is that I now have title, registration, and plates!!!! My Supra is road legal!!!!!

What that means is I can make a serious plan of what I want to do with the car, and how to get there. We had a few celebratory drinks and gave it a wash.

The first thing that needs to get done is the steering. It's still leaking like crazy. I'll pull the rack and pinion to see what shape it's in, and then will make a decision about getting a new unit or getting a rebuild kit.

By the way, is this the right location for this thread? I started it in general discussion back in the day, but is there a specific section for builds?
That is awesome you were able to straighten out that title issue. I could imagine there was probably a lot of steps involved and you probably could write a book out of trying to re-register it.

I would start a fresh build thread in the "build-up/gallery" section if you do not have one already:

http://www.supramania.com/forum/forums/supra-build-up-gallery.68/

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
So far there's been no luck in finding a new rack. It might be re manufactured or a rebuild kit after all. I did some searching and it seems like this forum recommends carsteering.com.

While I'm doing this, what other parts should I be replacing/upgrading? The thread I read through mentioned ps hoses from driftmotion. Anything else?

To be honest I want to keep this process in one thread, so hopefully one of the mods/admins can move the thread for me.

Enraged

A HG job took HOW long??
Authorized Seller
Contributor
If you are doing the rack, get replacement bushings, either new stock ones or poly. Maybe new tie rods ends, depending on the condition of your existing ones.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Ok new rack is on its way, along with poly bushings and steel braided ps line. We have the old rack mostly out. Just need to do the lines around the steering column.

In the meantime, we've been doing a couple of smaller things. The fan clutch seized up, so we replaced it and immediately started hearing how bad the water pump sounded. Got a new one of those too. It was really cool to see the two fans side by side to appreciate how much manufacturing techniques have come in the past 30 years.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
You can still get either style pump impeller design.

Is the one on the left bought from Toyota? or aftermarket?

The right one appears to use a cast iron impeller, the one on the left uses a stamped steel impeller.

The right one looks aftermarket to me.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
The one on the left is aftermarket Import Direct one from OReily. The one on the right obviously came out of the car, but I don't know if it's the original or it's been replaced as part of recommended maintenance.

The steering rack is now out of the car, and I think we've found why it was leaking...

The other side was just as bad.
Along with a new steering rack, tie rod ends, and bushings, I got a steel braided power steering hose. This one:
https://www.driftmotion.com/7M-PS-Hose-p/dm143.htm

Stupid question: which piece exactly does it replace ? From the reading I've done on this forum it sounds like it replaces the line that has a banjo bolt on the rack, but where does it connect to the rest of the system? As always, thank you for the wisdom.

Oh the bonus about this right now is I live in Florida and as you may have heard, there is a hurricane coming early next week. I need the car to be able to move by tomorrow so I can get everything in the garage and out of the way of the storm.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
The one on the left is aftermarket Import Direct one from OReily. The one on the right obviously came out of the car, but I don't know if it's the original or it's been replaced as part of recommended maintenance.

The steering rack is now out of the car, and I think we've found why it was leaking...

The other side was just as bad.
Along with a new steering rack, tie rod ends, and bushings, I got a steel braided power steering hose. This one:

Stupid question: which piece exactly does it replace ? From the reading I've done on this forum it sounds like it replaces the line that has a banjo bolt on the rack, but where does it connect to the rest of the system? As always, thank you for the wisdom.

Oh the bonus about this right now is I live in Florida and as you may have heard, there is a hurricane coming early next week. I need the car to be able to move by tomorrow so I can get everything in the garage and out of the way of the storm.
Good luck with hurricane planning... stay safe.

Steering rack boots server two purposes. They keep the grease in and the dirt out, and yes, if they are cracked they will leak, but they should not leak much or constantly as the grease inside is limited... that is, unless there is a leak somewhere else into the boot. I think the steering fluid can get in there under some circumstances and provide an larger supply of goop. New boots will just keep this inside, but, the leak will still be there into the boot if the leak into it isn't corrected.

It's been a long time since I've seen under one of these boots, but there must be a seal between the mechanism and the boot area.

Update: just attached a picture from the parts catalog... there will be one on the other end, too.

Attachments

Last edited:

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Good luck with hurricane planning... stay safe.

Steering rack boots server two purposes. They keep the grease in and the dirt out, and yes, if they are cracked they will leak, but they should not leak much or constantly as the grease inside is limited... that is, unless there is a leak somewhere else into the boot. I think the steering fluid can get in there under some circumstances and provide an larger supply of goop. New boots will just keep this inside, but, the leak will still be there into the boot if the leak into it isn't corrected.

It's been a long time since I've seen under one of these boots, but there must be a seal between the mechanism and the boot area.

Update: just attached a picture from the parts catalog... there will be one on the other end, too.
Both sides were leaking heavily, so we knew the seals inside that hold the fluid are shot, so we ordered a whole new rack. I won't be opening those seals on the new one. My question is more about the power steering hose and where an upgraded one goes.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Both sides were leaking heavily, so we knew the seals inside that hold the fluid are shot, so we ordered a whole new rack. I won't be opening those seals on the new one. My question is more about the power steering hose and where an upgraded one goes.
I thought I remembered that you couldn't get a new one and you were considering refurbished. I thought you were replacing the boots today. I suspect a new rack will come with them, and the seals will be new :) I deliberately passed on the replacement hose question since I didn't know anything about it :)

update: I see now, along with a new.... the picture didn't match the words which said "on the left"... must have stopped reading and jumped to the pictures.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
I thought I remembered that you couldn't get a new one and you were considering refurbished. I thought you were replacing the boots today. I suspect a new rack will come with them, and the seals will be new :) I deliberately passed on the replacement hose question since I didn't know anything about it :)

update: I see now, along with a new.... the picture didn't match the words which said "on the left"... must have stopped reading and jumped to the pictures.
Haha the pictures are always more interesting anyway. You're right, I couldn't get a new rack, so I got a remanufactured one. It was more of a "new to me" situation.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Good luck with the hurricane!
Hopefully you and your belongings come out the other end in good condition.

The power steering hose is the pressure side.
It connects to the ouput from the power steering pump and its corresponding connection on the rack.
Both ends are banjo bolts from the factory, this replaces both.

Should be #44410 on this page.
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/EPC/291410/catalog.aspx?F=4503&P=1
http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/Library/EPC/291410/part.aspx?S=44410

I prefer the stock setup myself due to packaging and routing, but that line should work fine as well!

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
The new rack is in!!! No leaking anywhere, things are looking good. Took it for a short drive yesterday. The only problem we ran into is the steering damper no longer fits. The hardlines along the rack are in the way. I think it's because the mounting bracket on the new rack is at a different angle.

Do you guys know if that's something that can be adjusted, or if it's not worth the trouble and should just be left off. Our damper is shot anyway, but I don't want to take stuff off that Toyota put on for a reason.

The sad thing is that the car didn't drive much better, because everything else in the suspension is shot. But at least it doesn't groan like a whale every time I turn the wheel.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
There is a large nut on the inner side that holds that bracket in position. (~58mm if I remember correctly)
If you take the boot off, loosen it, re-position the bracket and re-tighten it should be fine.
You will have to get another boot clamp if you can't re-use the one that it currently has.

The nut should be part of where the rubber boot clamps to.
Inspect your old rack, you will see what I am talking about.

Piratetip

Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Sounds like you got luckier than I did with a rebuilt rack.
Where did you get yours?

How is the on center feel?
Though I guess you won't really know if there is any slop until you fix all the other issues in your steering system.

zhenya2002

Authorized Seller
Thanks for the info! Can I loosen that large nut while it's still on the car? I really don't want to pull the rack again. I got this one from carsteering.com, but you're exactly right, it handles terribly because all the other suspension parts are shot.

Took it for its first legal drive the other day, and it was an....adventure. The first half everything was working great, except the steering was terrible and all the noises of the suspension. Then, the car started stalling and having trouble idling. My guess is some vacuum line came off somewhere. After that, it overheated right as I got home. That was perfect timing. The radiator cap blew off, the was smoke, the whole show. Needless to say the temp gauge in the dash doesn't work. My guess is that the coolant is not flowing through the motor like it should be. Given the fact that it has a new water pump, fan clutch, and thermostat, that's worrisome. So for now we'll focus on fixing these two issues, and then new tires and fixing the suspension.

As always, thank you for the support.

plaaya69

87T Supra
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Thanks for the info! Can I loosen that large nut while it's still on the car? I really don't want to pull the rack again. I got this one from carsteering.com, but you're exactly right, it handles terribly because all the other suspension parts are shot.

Took it for its first legal drive the other day, and it was an....adventure. The first half everything was working great, except the steering was terrible and all the noises of the suspension. Then, the car started stalling and having trouble idling. My guess is some vacuum line came off somewhere. After that, it overheated right as I got home. That was perfect timing. The radiator cap blew off, the was smoke, the whole show. Needless to say the temp gauge in the dash doesn't work. My guess is that the coolant is not flowing through the motor like it should be. Given the fact that it has a new water pump, fan clutch, and thermostat, that's worrisome. So for now we'll focus on fixing these two issues, and then new tires and fixing the suspension.

As always, thank you for the support.
With all the BHG stories from even way back when, that was one of the first things I installed was a aftermarket digital water temp gauge and a gauge pillar in the Supra. I would check to make sure you have the connector to the temp gauge switch plugged in or that it is not damaged. That is a single striped yellow wire that is located:

https://www.google.com/search?q=7m+...AUIEygC&biw=1600&bih=767#imgrc=WX65jaqMRagO1M:

Have you ever did a compression test on the motor?

Just ellin, chillin and working on the last touches on the newer Supra shell that I got up and running this year. How have you been?