14' Battery Cable

Suprizm2

Boost'n
Authorized Seller
Does anyone know where I can find a 12 foot or 14 foot battery cable for cheap? I want to run my battery in the trunk of my supra but cant find anyone who caries it. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor
Re: 14" Battery Cable

www.mcmaster.com

You want welding cable, 2 gauge should be fine. And you can get any ends or fittings on there. Welding cable is nice because it's very flexible. I've used it on a bunch of cars right and never had any problems with it as long as you use good ends for it.

AF1JZ

Almost civilian status...
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Advanced Auto. At least the one close to my place has 2 gauge on a reel and it is like $1.50/foot. Then get the terminal ends which are cheap and you'll be set. That's what I used to relocate my battery.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Suprizm2 said:
Does anyone know where I can find a 12 foot or 14 foot battery cable for cheap? I want to run my battery in the trunk of my supra but cant find anyone who caries it. I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks!
relocating the battery is NOT something you want to cheap out on. do some research and do it PROPERLY. improperly done, it can be extremely hazardous.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller

haha, you guys are terrible! once i get my rear subframe problem resolved, i hope to continue on my (now) taking forever battery relocation. it never ends with this car!

marlonvip

Supra -only way to fly
Authorized Seller

Anyone ever made a Stickey about relocating the battery?

Would be nice:)

~Marlon~

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller

i am planning on making a writeup when i'm done. but, it might be a bit too expensive for many people's taste, because i refuse to do it improperly, or in any manner which could even have the possibility of causing harm to anyone in the cabin of the car...

• Love
Reactions: debrucer

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Is battery relocation really that complicated? I've done it a bunch of times and did it pretty simply, but maybe I'm overlooking some people's concerns. The only thing I didn't do that I should've was put a breaker in the positive line for the battery. But I do have it wired in a way, that if something shorts on that line, the alternator fuse will blow. So it's not totally unfused.

Oh and the choice of battery is important. If you're taking your normal sears/die hard/whatever battery and want to use it in the back, I really have to ask why. I usually use Optima batteries because I've never had a problem with them and they will always start the car and are sealed so they're safe to have pretty much anywhere. I would like to use a smaller battery, but for a daily driver, I've heard mixed reviews on a lot of the popular cheaper ones. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't, it depends.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

I just mean that it seems like a lot of people get caught up with parts of moving the battery. Unless people are doing it differently than me, it's just extending the power wire and mounting the battery somewhere other than in the front, and you need a new ground for it. Are people doing more than this? I know there are different ways of giving power to the fuse block and all of that. I did it the easy way because I'm not ready to rewire the car just yet and just connected that wire that used to go to the positive terminal on the battery to the post on the starter where the battery wire connected to. It's not the best solution, but it has worked pretty well and was easy.

I'm just curious as to what problems people have or what questions they ask. I mean is it just stuff like what size wire? Or is it what do I connect the red to and what do I connect the black to?

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Wiisass said:
Is battery relocation really that complicated? I've done it a bunch of times and did it pretty simply, but maybe I'm overlooking some people's concerns. The only thing I didn't do that I should've was put a breaker in the positive line for the battery. But I do have it wired in a way, that if something shorts on that line, the alternator fuse will blow. So it's not totally unfused.

Oh and the choice of battery is important. If you're taking your normal sears/die hard/whatever battery and want to use it in the back, I really have to ask why. I usually use Optima batteries because I've never had a problem with them and they will always start the car and are sealed so they're safe to have pretty much anywhere. I would like to use a smaller battery, but for a daily driver, I've heard mixed reviews on a lot of the popular cheaper ones. Sometimes they last, sometimes they don't, it depends.
it totally depends on HOW you want to do it. do you want it to be legal for any sort of racing? then it's complicated. sure you can just run a wire back there and zip tie the battery in place.....but that's not the best ideal. don't forget, even an optima can gas....

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

USE A HIGH QUALITY POWER CABLE FOR A AMP INSTALL(monster cable, Stinger). This is also where bigger the better plays a role. These power wires are multi-stranded (around 2000+ in some cases). It will be the best option. The more strands the better. The $1.50 a foot cable has like 15 strands or LESS. This is not good for moving amps (voltage talk) for more then 3 feet.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller

92nsx said:
USE A HIGH QUALITY POWER CABLE FOR A AMP INSTALL(monster cable, Stinger). This is also where bigger the better plays a role. These power wires are multi-stranded (around 2000+ in some cases). It will be the best option. The more strands the better. The $1.50 a foot cable has like 15 strands or LESS. This is not good for moving amps (voltage talk) for more then 3 feet.
Errr WTF? Care to provide some evidence for that position? As far as I know, there is no measurable difference. Furthermore, last time I checked welding cable was some of the best in the industry.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Authorized Seller
Contributor

^ Nah. The fact welding cable is designed to be oil and abrasion resistant, flexible, and carry high current at low voltage over sometimes considerable distances makes it completely unsuitable for remote battery applications. Come on Dave, don't you know anything? ;)

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

drjonez said:
it totally depends on HOW you want to do it. do you want it to be legal for any sort of racing? then it's complicated. sure you can just run a wire back there and zip tie the battery in place.....but that's not the best ideal. don't forget, even an optima can gas....
Everytime I've done it, it has been legal for any sanctioning body that I wanted to run with.

So what makes it complicated. Saying it's complicated doesn't explain anything. Is it the battery mounting? Is it the wire color selection? Is it running it under the carpet? What is it?

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor

Wiisass said:
Everytime I've done it, it has been legal for any sanctioning body that I wanted to run with.

So what makes it complicated. Saying it's complicated doesn't explain anything. Is it the battery mounting? Is it the wire color selection? Is it running it under the carpet? What is it?
SCCA?

Taking your post at face value, I did not see that you installed a remote battery disconncet accesible from the outside.

That is required in

SCCA
IHRA
NHRA
FIA
WRC

and most local race tracks. Installing a battery discoonect per the rules is no small feat.

dbsupra90

toonar
Authorized Seller

figgie said:
SCCA?

Taking your post at face value, I did not see that you installed a remote battery disconncet accesible from the outside.

That is required in

SCCA
IHRA
NHRA
FIA
WRC

and most local race tracks. Installing a battery discoonect per the rules is no small feat.
it is also required to be mounted with specific size hardware and have a vent tube.

as far as the battery disconnect, the easiest to use is the moroso super duty p/n 74102. it is rated at 300A, 2KA surge. the best part about it is has an alternator supply cut. that means you can run a small 12g wire to the alternator instead of having to run 2 huge power cables.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

figgie said:
SCCA?

That is required in

SCCA
IHRA
NHRA
FIA
WRC

exactly.

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

In some of the cars I have moved the battery, I did put in a master switch. For a lot of the stuff that I do and a lot of other classes a remote master switch is recommended and not required.

But even when it is, it's not that hard to wire it in. I mean it's just a switch, but with bigger wires.

So it is mounting that's hard? This specific size hardware? I guess if you're using a battery that needs a box, it adds some work to it. But if you pick the right battery and it doesn't need to be in a box, it's pretty simple.

Edit: And based on the work that I've seen some of you do, I really don't understand how you can call this complicated.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

eh, this one isn't worth my time. suffice to say that to be legal for MOST racing you'll do (90% of those considering a relo would probably be for drag racing...so see NHRA rules), it's much more than just slapping an optima in the trunk. when i say "complicated" i'm referring to the average reader here....

Wiisass

Supramania Contributor
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Dr.J, I'm not trying to start any arguments, I was just curious as to what was so complicated about it.

And 90% of racing is drag racing? Well maybe that's where the different outlook comes from, I'm not a drag racer or have anything to do with it for the most part. I will build customer cars for drag racing if they want to, but other than that, I don't personally drag race so I'm not as familiar with the rules. But for the most part, if you follow general good practice guidelines for doing something like this, it's a lot easier than most people think. Also, I would think that a large percentage of people moving their battery aren't doing any kind of racing.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Authorized Seller
Contributor

Wiisass said:
www.mcmaster.com

You want welding cable, 2 gauge should be fine. And you can get any ends or fittings on there. Welding cable is nice because it's very flexible. I've used it on a bunch of cars right and never had any problems with it as long as you use good ends for it.
Need to make sure it's Copper Multistrand though as there's a LOT of cheap aluminium welding cable around :(

I use 1/2" Copper here and run 2 cables all the way to the motor, we've discussed running the ground through the chassis a few times and why I don't like to do it this way from an electrical PoV but I'm sure many will disagree so I will just sit here quietly ;)

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
i plan on picking up welding cable and running a ground right to the block. i wouldn't do it any other way, nor could i imagine someone trusting the chassis as a ground.

dbsupra90

toonar
Authorized Seller

IJ. said:
run 2 cables all the way to the motor, we've discussed running the ground through the chassis a few times and why I don't like to do it this way from an electrical PoV but I'm sure many will disagree so I will just sit here quietly ;)
i agree, and its how my car is done as well. ive never been a fan of grounding it to the chassis in the rear. using a convential cut off switch could you imagine running 3 garden hose sized lines under the car? thats why i mention the switch i did. ive seen many ways of doing a battery relocate on here. they all work, just some are safer than others, and few would pass tech inspection.

and for the record, everything that is done to my car is with the rules enforced at the drag tracks i go to. so when i talked about the box, hardware, vent tube, etc that was in regards to drag racing rules.

figgie

Authorized Seller
Contributor

IJ. said:
Need to make sure it's Copper Multistrand though as there's a LOT of cheap aluminium welding cable around :(

I use 1/2" Copper here and run 2 cables all the way to the motor, we've discussed running the ground through the chassis a few times and why I don't like to do it this way from an electrical PoV but I'm sure many will disagree so I will just sit here quietly ;)
well here is where the Audio world comes in extremly handy ;)

1-1 guage or 0 Guage wire input to 4-4 guage outputs. That way only one wire and then distrubute from there :)

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/2087458/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046
also is clean ;)

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor

i am planning on making a writeup when i'm done. but, it might be a bit too expensive for many people's taste, because i refuse to do it improperly, or in any manner which could even have the possibility of causing harm to anyone in the cabin of the car...
If you did it, would you please point me to it? I've been searching, literally, for years now :)

Abe's 1987

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Authorized Seller
If you did it, would you please point me to it? I've been searching, literally, for years now :)
I'd look into taking you current cable to car toys to see if they have a cable that size and reuse the terminals you have. Probably your best bet. They sell different size power cables by the foot.

debrucer

It's about the journey
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I'd look into taking you current cable to car toys to see if they have a cable that size and reuse the terminals you have. Probably your best bet. They sell different size power cables by the foot.
I'm not sure where you're coming from with this response. My post was to @shaeff , a long-time admin here who still logs on occasionally.

If you search "relocate battery" here, you get ten pages of posts. Reading those ten pages, it appears like maybe two people posting have actually done the relocation -- and those people seem to be using the hole under the fender as their cable pass-through. I've never inspected a MK3 with the front fender off, but I do not believe that there is a grommet in that hole - yet, a cable through metal needs a grommet. I understand that the factory can get away with it when the cable (or harness) is fixed on one or both sides... i.e., so it cannot move, but simply passing a cable through a blind open hole isn't how I'm going to do it.

My battery is going to be located on the right rear seat area, in a box, with a cutoff and power distribution box physically close. If I can't mount my pass-through pieces in the firewall, or use an appropriate grommet, I may have to resort to running the cables under the car.

I've got all the pieces, not worried about price nearly as much as I am about application :)

Abe's 1987

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Authorized Seller
I'm not sure where you're coming from with this response. My post was to @shaeff , a long-time admin here who still logs on occasionally.

If you search "relocate battery" here, you get ten pages of posts. Reading those ten pages, it appears like maybe two people posting have actually done the relocation -- and those people seem to be using the hole under the fender as their cable pass-through. I've never inspected a MK3 with the front fender off, but I do not believe that there is a grommet in that hole - yet, a cable through metal needs a grommet. I understand that the factory can get away with it when the cable (or harness) is fixed on one or both sides... i.e., so it cannot move, but simply passing a cable through a blind open hole isn't how I'm going to do it.

My battery is going to be located on the right rear seat area, in a box, with a cutoff and power distribution box physically close. If I can't mount my pass-through pieces in the firewall, or use an appropriate grommet, I may have to resort to running the cables under the car.

I've got all the pieces, not worried about price nearly as much as I am about application :)
Yeah I should have read the thread more before I responded to your post. I went way off topic I have realized.

• Love
Reactions: debrucer

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Hey man, I never ended up doing this as my life took a turn that led me down a non-Supra related path for years and years. I still have all my junk, just haven't touched it in about 15yrs. If I ever get around to doing the battery relocation, I'll post pictures, but with the way my life is right now that's not likely to happen for another few to many years haha.

I check in from time to time, I miss this place and this part of my life.

Reactions: figgie and debrucer