130A Alternator ?

BTNH-LC

Chambered Edge Firearms
Authorized Seller
Hi all,
So here's the deal, I'm overheating after a lot of stop and go traffic with the AC on after converting to the Mishimoto dual electric fan setup. I've done and checked everything and nothing seems to keep it cool. If I turn off the AC it cools down and will never overheat, even boosting climbing hills. It's averaging over 100 degrees here so I need my AC.
It stumped me until a local supra guy asked if I still have the stock alternator and it clicked. So I'm upgrading to at least a 130A alternator so I can get the CFMs out of my fans.
Anyway, my question is, has anyone bought the upgraded fans off Ebay? If so are the any good? I know suprastore.com has one and a couple of people have told me it's good but money is tight right now and the one on ebay is half the price. So should I get the one off Ebay or should I bite the bullet and get the suprastore.com one?
Thanks.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Can get a taurus fan from the junkyards.

You need a lot of cfm out of the fans.

Mr2 alternator i believe is bolts and pushes 120 iirc.

This is also why the mechanical fan works better.

Also might need a extra little pusher fan for the other side on the condensor. There was one there stock,

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Im running a Taurus fan and a 140 amp alternator. I am also running a hybrid pulley on it because it doesn't spin fast enough at proper 650 rpm idle speed to put out enough juice.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Not hard at all they fit pretty perfect. All you have to do is make mounting to hold the top and wire it up properly through a 60 amp relay with thick wire. And of course get a higher output alternator as the fan on high speed pulls close to 60 amps

supraguy@aol

Authorized Seller
Or you could just go to an oem fan and brand new $75 oem shroud, and never, ever worry about cooling again.
but that's just me.

ps- I had the flex-a-lite 210's. they cooled just fine...whenever the relays worked...and they were loud as hell.

GrimJack

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Authorized Seller
A good alternator / starter shop can build you at least a 190amp alternator that still fits in the stock housing.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Yeah, ARE locally hooked it up with mine, we found a smaller pulley for it that wouldn't over speed the alternator to give it a little bit more rpm at idle. I would search around locally

noel

Uchiha Member
Authorized Seller
Im planning on switching to an mr2 alternator as well....can anybody shed some light on what year and if the power steering makes a difference....autopartswarehouse.com sales mr2 alternators that range from 70-100 amps im hopeing to get the 100 amp

Devin LeBlanc

Banned

BTNH-LC

Chambered Edge Firearms
Authorized Seller
^^^ Thats the one I think I'm gonna pick up. Nobody in town seems to have the experience remanning alts here in town.

wardog

R.G.V WARDOG
Authorized Seller
Dont kill yourself over an alternator. Just order this one and be done with it. For less than 90 shipped and 1 year warranty , you can't beat it. I have been running this same alternator for about 2 years now and no problems at all . Mind you if you gonna be running 2000 watt audio system you might want a 160 or higher. Good luck i been runing my Hifonics 1500rms mono amp and my 12" kicker L7 and my light dont dim or twitch at all at full volume :) .

HERES THE 130 AMP
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-SUPRA-ALTERNATOR-1988-89-90-91-1992-130-High-Amp-/170658183792?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27bc053a70

HERES THE 160 AMP

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TOYOTA-SUPRA-ALTERNATOR-1988-89-90-91-1992-160-High-Amp-/250787104138?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a6413858a

---------- Post added at 11:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:35 PM ----------

Just in case you need a wiring kit for that Taurus fan , this guys seem to know what they are doing.

http://www.thehollisterroadcompany.com/default.html

Surf around the site there is a couple of install pics. Good luck :beer:

BTNH-LC

Chambered Edge Firearms
Authorized Seller
See that was what I was wondering about, I saw all the cheap 130a alternators but I was wary about the huge price difference. I kinda figured that either they weren't going to be up to spec or wouldn't last. And thanks for the link to the taurus fan wiring kit.

noel

Uchiha Member
Authorized Seller
^ You're gonna need it to power that 80 amp fan relay :)
lol big mistake that was...i switched it back to a 40 amp relay so far so good ...i still need to know how many amps the stock aux. fans run.. The jackrabbit that sold me my supra gave it to me with no fans sensors ,cut the wires from the harness...so i have to rig up my own setup ... Back to topic I rather buy an alternator from Driftmotion than some random seller on ebay

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
It's very difficult if not impossible to match the stock fan. It still perplexes me why people switch away from the stock mechanical fan.

OP: Why not swap back to the original fan set-up? Keeps it plenty cool and the mishimoto rad fits the stock fan set-up perfectly. At least mine does. :dunno:

BTNH-LC

Chambered Edge Firearms
Authorized Seller
The reason I don't is I wanted a cleaner look and I hate the drag it puts on my car. Plus the electric fans seem to cool better on other cars. Just need to get that Alternator

3p141592654

90T
Authorized Seller
Contributor
I love the complete lack of any qualifying data on those alternators. 130A/160A at what voltage and rpm? Do they provide a performance chart? Hmmm, why not?. And does anyone worry about the fact that with potentially double the stock current (if it were actually true) the wiring/fusible link might need to be re-engineered!

You might want to also educate yourself on alternator efficiency, and what that does to your engine "drag" when your are dumping 800W into running those fans.

Make sure you have something like this for both stock and the new whiz bang alternator before you plunk down your cash.

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
I melted the stock wiring and blew the fusible link. I went to a 8 ga wire from the fuse box to the battery and also ran a separate wire from the alternator straight to the battery. Have not had any problems since.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
The reason I don't is I wanted a cleaner look and I hate the drag it puts on my car. Plus the electric fans seem to cool better on other cars. Just need to get that Alternator
You know your only losing maybe 2hp max with the stock fan. That and you will never over heat with a good cooling system and motor.

Seems more worth it to keep it then try to gain 2hp that you will never feel, drag down your electrical system over load the alt and possibly catch the whole car on fire from melting wires.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Authorized Seller
Contributor
At least I know I am not the only person running a stock radiator, shroud, fan clutch, and alternator and never have an issue with A/C or charging, even when it is 100 degrees.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Authorized Seller
Im with you on that one.

TrqMnstr

HKS Whore!!!
Authorized Seller
You can never really trust aftermarket fans. Always seem to end up failing anyways. If you "have to" do electric fans, use the taurus fans at least you know some kind of engineering went into it. Shit, I had AFFCO fans fail on my 510. AFFCO > Shittymoto. If you don't want to deal with future headaches stick with the mechanical set up.

BTNH-LC

Chambered Edge Firearms
Authorized Seller
Not really looking for the hp. More of I hate the feeling of the fan clutch engaging, and where I live, it's always engaged. Anyway, I can't go back to stock because I bought the car without the stock shroud and I bought the electric fans and installed them. I mean I have both fans running off separate relays and when I install the new alternator I'm gonna go to a thicker gauge fusible link and thicker gauge power cables. If this doesn't work then I guess the alternator always helps for running all the other aftermarket electronics.

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Authorized Seller
Not really looking for the hp. More of I hate the feeling of the fan clutch engaging, and where I live, it's always engaged. Anyway, I can't go back to stock because I bought the car without the stock shroud and I bought the electric fans and installed them. I mean I have both fans running off separate relays and when I install the new alternator I'm gonna go to a thicker gauge fusible link and thicker gauge power cables. If this doesn't work then I guess the alternator always helps for running all the other aftermarket electronics.
You can feel the fan clutch engaging? I've owned 3 mk3 Supras and never once have I felt the fan engage.

At the end of the day, you're playing a risky game with aftermarket e-fans on a car designed to pull more air than most any e-fan can pull. You may be able to find a fan setup that looks a little cleaner, only requires an alternator and associated wiring for 1.5x the stock current and pulls JUST enough air to keep the car from overheating, but you still wont have matched the stock set-up for reliability and performance.

Maybe I've just had the engineering mindset ground into my head from years of school and a couple years of work, but this is always true: FORM FOLLOWS FUNCTION.

noel

Uchiha Member
Authorized Seller
+1 on stock setup...I live in florida always HOT!! I have the stock fan clutch with the oem fan shroud..the only things I modify was the thermosat (180) heat wrap the downpipe/exhaust manifold and Samco silicone cooling hoses, I dont even have a condensor fan for my a/c and I haven't overheated yet ....e-fans are just for looks but when it comes to functionality stock setup wins

P.S i run my radiator aux fans on a switch....thanx to previous owner