places to mount boost gauge?

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
quick question...im looking for a good place to mount a 52mm boost gauge in my mkIII supra. I really dont want a pod for the pillar and was thinking about maybe taking out the cigarette lighter. Has anyone mounted their gauges anywhere other than the pillar and how easy/hard was it to do. Im ordering the gauge tomorrow and some quick replys would be great.

p.s. been surfing the forums for a few weeks now. Just bought my first supra. You guys have already answered alot of my questions. Thanks! :bigthumb:

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i installed it where my cig. lighter goes because the lighter didnt work...i'll probably move the gauge somewhere else and put something else there because its not too easy to see when driving...i might try doing a custom gauge pod on my steering column.

Anomili

Obsessed
Apr 9, 2005
In an Igloo
www.cardomain.com
The problem with putting it in your lighter is that you'll have to take your eyes off the road in order to see the guage. If you do decide to put it there make sure it has the ability to hold the peak pressure so that you can analyze your speed in the safety of a stopped position. I myself have mine on a 3 guage pillar pod. I would recommend that you place it in a steering column mounted guage pod. It really is the safest and most convenient location.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
is there a sight that sells steering column mounted gauges...kinda like the dsm ones...if you know what im talking about...i can find a link if you dont know what im talking about

N

nd_boost

I relocated my heater control into my glove box and made a custom 2 gauge pod for the hole where the heater used to be worked really well.
Also the idiot that owned my car b4 me mounted his boost gauge where the stock one used 2 be he did the complete hack job on the instument cluster.(UUUGGGLLLYYYY)

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
i bought a "dual universal" pod and thought i could fit it on top of the steering column but didnt work out that way. i'll try modding it one of these days

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
look up on the boards for the guy who put the aftermarket boost gauge in the stock boost/voltometer spot. Looks REALLY clean. I am def going to do that when the time comes. There is even supposidley a write-up on it somewhere(i think supraforums)

heavyearly87t

Mr.Url
Mar 31, 2005
Edmonton Alberta Canada Eh?
cramerizking said:
look up on the boards for the guy who put the aftermarket boost gauge in the stock boost/voltometer spot. Looks REALLY clean. I am def going to do that when the time comes. There is even supposidley a write-up on it somewhere(i think supraforums)

Yes to this, I would like to know how he got the face to match. I have to find that post & read up on it. If not, I'll put it in the glove box. Just buy everything to save peak readings.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
if anyone can find the post, can they copy and paste or send me the link...the mods on supraforums havent activated my account and i cant search

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
off the top of my head, paddlenbike and grimjack both have aftermarket gauges in the stock location. if i remember correctly, they match the stock cluster very well!

-shaeff

Loki

The Future is Unwritten
Mar 30, 2005
Prince George, B.C.
I'm going to mount mine on the steering column, and then my EGT gauge on the other side of the column. Mickey mouse style, kind of but with Auto Meter gauge cups.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
When I got my car, it had a small HKS boost gauge mounted in the stock lighter location. This was fine with me, as I hadn't upped the boost from stock and I don't smoke [nor will anyone ever smoke in my car - I also chucked the ashtray]. After I purchased my EVC and decided to raise the boost, I knew I needed to keep an eye on things. I got a single gauge a-pillar mount. It's a great location.
There are certain indicators that you need to keep an eye on, such as boost level, A/F ratio, fuel pressure, oil temp and coolant temp. Your volt-meter is of no worry, and EGT shouldn't be a big worry until you have some of the bigger upgrades and tune the car. At that time, everything needs monitored, but afterwards, on that tune there shouldn't be a huge need to constantly monitor your pyrometer. A-pillar placement is ideal, but it's an attention-getter.

GOT BOOST

Mar 30, 2005
Canada
www.supraclub.ca
robbo185 said:
quick question...im looking for a good place to mount a 52mm boost gauge in my mkIII supra. I really dont want a pod for the pillar and was thinking about maybe taking out the cigarette lighter. Has anyone mounted their gauges anywhere other than the pillar and how easy/hard was it to do. Im ordering the gauge tomorrow and some quick replys would be great.

p.s. been surfing the forums for a few weeks now. Just bought my first supra. You guys have already answered alot of my questions. Thanks! :bigthumb:

Hi Robbo185,

Congrats on purchasing your Supra. As for the boost gauge, I myself am considering a 2 or 3 pillar pod for it. What is your objection to having it on a pillar pod? My next option to have the boost gauge mounted would be either in the dash replacing the existing boost gauge, or perhaps in I would build a custom 2 or 3 pod holder to sit ontop of the dash, but it would blend in with the dash as if it were there from the factory.

What type of boost gauge are you considering? I am considering an HKS boost gauge, but I want one that reads on PSI instead of in Bar. Why many of you will ask...... For the simple reason that I like the higher numbers! :)

Hope this helps?

Mike Nikolai

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
digidash1.jpg

you can kinda see it.. i mounted mine under the trim for the dash... can see it without straying too far and ppl outside don't see it till they really poke their head in your window...

well i found it a useful place lol

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
:withstupi thats where mine is. I also accidently ordered a 2-5/8in gauge so its huge but thats the best place to put it. Its in the stock location but not in the dash, just in front of the stocker.

also this is OT, Suprra girl, where'd you get the gauge holder for your other gauges? when I get some others thats where I want to mount them.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
yea im pretty sure mine doesnt have a stock boost gauge because its an american version of the supra....correct me if im wrong

also in reply to another post... i am against the pillar pod because it will draw attention to my car (even more so lol) My old car was recently broken into due to someone wanting my cheap cd player...i dont want to go through that again

also if anyone else has pics of their setup, please post so i have visual ideas

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
most owners on here are american lol so unless urs was a na to gte swap... that'd be why you don't have a boost gauge :p

you'll have one there somewhere i would say :)

for break in's etc that's why i mounted mine where i did, and i think the yellow scares them away anyhow hehe