Selections..

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Alright - it's going to be awhile until my 2JZ is swapped in, but I am already considering future upgrades. The problem I am having is with turbo upgrades. Now, when it comes to putting the 2JZ in the MkIII Supra, it has been addressed that the stock twins need some extra clearance at the firewall [slight sledge-adjustment] and that some people opt for a small single turbo to eliminate this clearance issue. The bigger bore of the 2JZ makes for a wider block in the engine bay, taking up more room.. so some of these turbo kits may have a problem being fit in there as well.
The kits I am considering are the T66, SP63 and HKS Twin 2835's or single T04R. Money IS an issue at the moment, but it won't be at the time when this upgrade is performed.. but I would hate to drop all of that coin on the HKS kit to find out that it doesn't fit. Another issue is the engine moving with torque and cracking the compressor housings on the strut tower or causing the turbo manifold to crack from the pressure, but I figured that I could have that under control with solid motor mounts and a hydraulic or pneumatic engine brace of some kind. Arnout was working on a log-style manifold for a single turbo on his MkIII with 2JZ which was supposed to eliminate alot of clearance issues, but I don't know if I want a single, and don't know if I want to steer away from a tubular mani. My ultimate goal is 700RWHP with race gas, but I also want something that can be driven daily on 93 octane. Does anyone have any opinions or insight to this situation? Input appreciated!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I believe I found the kit that I will want [unless something better comes along a year from now].
SP SS GT800W. It is supposed to spool like and have the lower and middle powerband of a SP63, but is capable of flowing enough for 800hp. I didn't plan on 800hp - a SP63 was my most likely candidate, but if this one spools the same and paves the way for even more power, it sounds like a winner.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
DD with 700RWHP is, lets say crazy
even if u use 93 thats going to be a monster on the damn road.
but 700 sounds nice.
and how much do u plan spending on all this, sounds pricey.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
D34DC311 said:
DD with 700RWHP is, lets say crazy
even if u use 93 thats going to be a monster on the damn road.
but 700 sounds nice.
and how much do u plan spending on all this, sounds pricey.
A fortune.

I plan to spend roughly $10k just getting the 2JZ in my car - this mostly due to the fact that I will be buying "the best" of anything that I think will need replaced anyways. Why buy "good enough" parts just to make it work when you can spend a little more and pave the way for future upgrades? I already have all components to make it BPU with a few +s from the get-go, plus I plan to start with a Greddy 3-row, which will be plenty for my goals without strangling the radiator's cooling performance [4-row would really block alot of air].

That will make me happy for awhile.

..but while I'm happy, I'll be saving for more power. AEM, wideband, laptop, fuel system and single kit. That won't be ready for SILV '06, but I will be working towards the final product.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
The advantage of a big turbo with decent spool is that you don't have to always floor it. Most of the time around town you'll be pulling vacuum, unless you need to punch it. Daily driving around town, all of those horses aren't going to be used, and if you don't know how to control more positions for your gas pedal than "up" and "floor", you're fired. It's not like you stomp the gas and *POW* - there's 700hp. 500 on pump gas should be fine around town. With an AEM and an AEM boost control solenoid, you can turn the boost down to the minimum of wherever your wastegate spring is set and tune there for daily driving if you want. With an AEM and a laptop, you can have infinite calibrations that you can tune for certain conditions or purposes and store on a computer, to change and upload to the AEM for use whenever you deem necessary.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
ROFLMAO DM :)

Don't know about you but for me the temptations too much !!

The standalone I'm using has Map switching and uses an external cartridge so I have a few soft maps in the console but seriously doubt I'll use them!

I was being negative in any way just pointing out it's really hard to hook up that sort of power through street rubber!

Back in the early 80's I had a very worked 427 BBChev with a Crower Injector on it that would turn the 295/50/15 rears at 60 MPH in drive without kicking down to 2nd!

I'm looking forward to following the progress of your car!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
It's gonna be SLO~W going on the updates. They will probably go month by month. I hope to have the swap done and running by next spring.. hopefully earlier. At that point, it will be BPU with a + or more. It won't be until a year or so after that is done that I will hopefully have enough saved to go single. Before the single, I'd like to do what I can to stiffen up the chassis with coilovers, sway bars, a rear strut tower bar and maybe a floor bar... and perhaps targa bars. Wider rims in the rear with better tires need to come before the single as well.

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
I will be going single soon, but not nearly the setup you're looking at. I am more interested in knowing if the mid-pipes (w/V-band flange) that are made for the MKIV will fit our MKIIIs, or will I just need to have one gabbed up? Since we are both in this same boat, what are you looking at doing for a mid-pipe and if you are going custom, maybe we can get 'em both made at the same time.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I was going to buy the kit, then probably get a mid-pipe from either horsepowerfreaks or boostlogic.. then install the down/midpipe to see where it ends, and have it tweaked from there. Maybe measure where it ends on the underside of the MkIII chassis and mark it with chalk, measure how the midpipe needs changed, and have a good shop do it.