Truck turbos

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Truck turbos are not designed for power, rather efficiency... It'd be literally pointless to use one of these; such a completely different application its not even worth considering imo. Their intercoolers on the other hand, theres a few people that have used them with good results.

QWIKSTRIKE

475rwhp459torq an climbin
Apr 3, 2005
Some where out there
www.cardomain.com
"Truck turbos are not designed for power, rather efficiency... It'd be literally pointless to use one of these; such a completely different application its not even worth considering imo. Their intercoolers on the other hand, theres a few people that have used them with good results."

Clueless.... and not true. It depends on the setup of the turbo. My gt4082 is mostly used on trucks and came with a truck rear turbine houseing. I just swapped it for a t04 turbine houseing. So what you are saying is not true. Turbos for cars were mostly t3 made then t04 became a power need! Diesel engines make power diderrently than gas. The trubo makes more power on gas. The turbo doesn't care what it is operating on and will function the same minus power out put difference!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Gotta agree with Quick on this there's so much mystique associated with turbos when all they are is 2 fans connected by a shaft.

A truck turbo operates on the exact same principles as a car turbo it's just that it's housings/wheels are selected for the application as needed.
(the one minor detail is some older diesel turbos don't have a positive ring seal at the compressor end and can suck oil at closed throttle on a draw through system as dieles don't see vaccum)

Try putting a T88 or one of the bigger GT series turbos on a 2 litre motor and the results will be quite horrible same deal but at the other end of the scale using a turbo that's been matched to a diesel's requirements on a 3 litre gas motor, it all comes down to matching the turbo to the motor it's NOT rocket science.

Way back in the day I built an L24 Datsun motor with a pair of T25 garret's and everyone said "It won't work you can't do it blah blah blah" I selected the right housings and away I went it worked fine! (This was back when a twin setup was only for race cars or the biggest V8's)

zeroOne

Taking Lurking Hardcore
Mar 30, 2005
Fitchburg, MA
Holset turbos that have been converted for use on gasoline engines have been used with great success by the DSM guys. The Holset HX35 would be a great turbo for the 7m. and the turbos are almost bulletproof.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Kamil: No probs for a LONG time Turbo's have been a black art with people blaming just about everything that goes wrong with their car on the "Turbo" when in reality they're such a simple basic device!

Where the complexity comes into it is in the fuel management (well mainly back in the old days before standalone ECU's) getting a fuel system to match the needs took some doing not to mention matching an ignition curve to the engine!

Back then we had to do lots of cheats/bandaids and made some fairly drivable cars with not bad HP but compared to the flexibility of even a basic standalone it was primitive to say the least! ;)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Quick: It runs like a dream just waiting on my new IC as the one I'm using is too small and choking it! :(

Just finished a new gearbox adaptor there's pics in my thread!

You get rid of the 40 yet?

DEFIANT 7M

101MM stroke of INSANITY!
Mar 30, 2005
Nashville/Miami
Last edited:

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Wow sorry I didn't find this sooner.

Yes the holset hy35 and hw35/40 turbos are bullet proof.

They are readilly (sp?) available off the various years of Dodge Ram trucks.

They spool fast, make plenty of power, able to build boost through 55psi, and have 360 deg thrust bearings AS STD EQUIPMENT!

Not to mention the fact, but the HY series are GIANT CT 26 center cartridges. They are built almost identical.

Last but not least, the only problem I ever had with one was oil controll. You need to run some sort of oil restriction on the oil intake or you will blow out the front oil seal.

S

Slow Poopra 7MGTE

mdc beat me to it i was gonna say the holset turbos off the cunnignhams diesel box trucks are a popular for dsm's i know that slow boy racing makes exaust housings for them, i didnt know you could run them on supra's though thats pretty cool

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
i got my gt4082 used. it was on a big diesl truck before i got it. has a 0.94 a/r turbine. im buying a 0.68 a/r turbine for it and expect spool similar if not faster then my upgraded ct26, though when i use this turbo it will be on the new engine with tons of headwork, cams, etc... so will flow much much more air.
william

williamb82

Apr 24, 2005
Tampa, Fl.
dont know. guy didnt say, just advertised it for wat it was, a garrett gt4082. it was recently rebuilt too. has a part number written on the comp wheel in magic marker when the housing is taken off. and absolutely no play at all.
willam