Fuel cut >_<

F

FinalRights

Does anyone have a link that shows how to do the air screw mod for the AFM to allow boost higher then 14psi? I'm pushing atleas that,and if I can get rid of the fuel cut I'd be insanley happy. :biggrinbo

supraaddict87

Apr 3, 2005
Morgantown WV
www.geocities.com
The screw mod on the MAF should only get you up to 14-14.5psi before fuel cut (from my experience) and going over 14-15psi shouldn't be done without fuel mods. I wouldent even go over 11psi without getting the injectors cleaned, tested, installed a new fuel pump, and AFPR.

If you haven’t touched it yet I would be surprised if you’re over 11psi. You don't have a boost guage, but have installed a boost controller? Something to invest in.

anyways-

Remove the AMF and on the underside you will find what looks like a plug in the casting. You need to drill out this plug, being careful not to damage the screw as you drill through the plug. From there you should be able to access the adjusting screw with a screwdriver to back it out.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
It sounds like that screw mod is raising the fuel cut by allowing unmetered air past the afm which lowers the karman freq and leans out the mixture. That all equals BAD at 14-15psi with stock injectors.

superiorsupra

Apr 1, 2005
ceres
stay down around 11-12 psi at the most on a basically stock system, anything over 14 psi on the ct26 and you're putting your turbo and engine in danger of running too lean. Don't want to risk your engine's death for just 2-3 more psi, it isn't worth it.

F

FinalRights

I'm going to have to invest in some fuel mods now. I test ran the car after I backed out the screw,and it was scary! I have a boost gauge,just needs to be calibrated better. It centers on 5 instead of 0. I know I'm over 15 at this point. I'll have to get a fpr asap,and stay under boost. Its not completely stock either. I do have a full exhaust,with 3" dp,and an HKS intake.

F

FinalRights

I found today that I over set the boost. I topped out my gauge(20psi,centers on 5 instead of 0),and I still had rpms before fuel cut kicked in. I've sinced stayed under boost till I can lower to 13-14psi. Once I get a FPR,I'll probably bump it to 15 or so. The stock injectors are good to like 400+hp,just check out JBL's dyno runs.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
Stock injectors are only good to that much hp with a page long list of supporting mods. Boost the hell out of it and post pics of the carnage. LOL
I'll bring some over some beer and my dv camcorder and you do a few 20psi passes and then we can watch the rods shooting out from under the car in slo-mo replay. :crazy1:

Last edited:

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
bigaaron said:
Stock injectors are only good to that much hp with a page long list of supporting mods. Boost the hell out of it and post pics of the carnage. LOL
I'll bring some over some beer and my dv camcorder and you do a few 20psi passes and then we can watch the rods shooting out from under the car in slo-mo replay. :crazy1:

I have to disagree rather strongly here. First of all he wouldn't be shooting rods out of anything unless he's pushing 500+ on a stock block, which is not possible with his mods. He'd melt pistons if he went too lean, which again isn't gonna happen @ 15 psi with stock injectors. How do I know? John Lunsford is running ~440rwhp on 440's. Granted, they have been cleaned and flow tested as well as supported with higher fuel pressure and a better pump, but the stock CT isn't going to give you enough power to run lean @ 15 psi. My wideband o2 was reading rich all the way through 14.7 psi with stock 160k mile injectors even AFTER I took 4% fuel out of the whole curve.

All that being said, your mileage may vary so its still not the best idea to go around running 15psi without knowing what your A/F's are looking like, but you're probably safer than you think. Our ECU is amazingly good at dumping massive amounts of fuel in under boost.

bigaaron

Supramania Contributor
Apr 12, 2005
Pomona, CA
www.driftmotion.com
I was making a joke. :momaru: ANYWAYS, he said he did the "screw mod" to get rid of the fuel cut and he had seen his 20psi boost gauge PEG a few times so last time I checked melting a piston could make you throw a rod. Therein lies the basis of the rod throwing joke or wheteva. Good looking out though, good looking out.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the stock rodbolts are the downfall of the 7m's lower end... if anything lets go down there, (aside from melting pistons) it'll probably be the rods due to snapping bolts.

-shaeff

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Hah, my bad too I think I was in a rather cynical mood for some reason ;) Still, 20psi with only an exhaust & intake, that screw back-out mod doesn't create THAT much more area in the AFM does it? Surely something else is awry here...

Edit: Now that I think about it, perhaps a wastegate issue?

Overboostin007

Mar 31, 2005
australia
what a joke. I ran 19psi on my old engine with a mines fuel hacker and blitz turbo which adjusted fuel ratio. But my point is i had 440 injectors and they didn't max out till 20psi.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Overboostin007 said:
what a joke. I ran 19psi on my old engine with a mines fuel hacker and blitz turbo which adjusted fuel ratio. But my point is i had 440 injectors and they didn't max out till 20psi.

still, boosting 19 psi on injectors that are at least 13 years old, and havent been cleaned is just asking for a lean condition, in my opinion. thats not a joke.

F

FinalRights

You guys aren't reading right. I said my gauge is centering at 5psi,not 0. So I was boosting at like 16psi. Center of 5psi,boost pegs to 20psi,15+ psi is what I was boosting at. I am glad to see that we can agree that 15psi on stock injectors isn't as bad as people would think.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The boost gauge needle isn't sitting at 0 when when the car is off, it's sitting at 5psi. So if the gauge is reading 10psi, it's actually only 5psi, because 5psi = 0psi.

Probably got dropped or something.

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Jeff Lange said:
The boost gauge needle isn't sitting at 0 when when the car is off, it's sitting at 5psi. So if the gauge is reading 10psi, it's actually only 5psi, because 5psi = 0psi.

Probably got dropped or something.

Gotcha. So there was never a point at which it was ACTUALLY boosting 20psi, just the whacked gauge reading which was essentially 15-16psi.

F

FinalRights

Exactly,I'd have to be brain dead to boost to 20+psi on a stock fuel system.

kaz87supra

Supra Owner
Mar 31, 2005
Owasso OK
why dont you go get a new gauge? they are like 50bux... then you will b more sure of that you are actually running.

or if a friend has a spare laying around hook it up 2 and compare them...