Admin/Mod.. lock/close vs. deletion?

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Why don't you moderators delete threads that are "going nowhere" instead of locking them? If you lock a thread or close it, the post stays on the board and not only remains an annoyance, but takes up space of other more relevant threads, which will be pushed to the next page when the number of useless, closed topics becomes great enough. I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but I moderate on another forum and have found this method to be quite useful.

rpk2012

F' LHD
Apr 4, 2005
Lubbock, Tx
Good question. It allows the thread starter time to view why it was locked, allows people to see what type of threads that will be locked, and then I move them to a special section where they will be deleted. If you look, every thread I have closed, I have moved, and they will be deleted. Any further questions? :p

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
When a thread is deleted, people get pissed off about where their thread went, and so on. Plus sometimes people like to go back and read what was posted. Often a thread will start out with good information, etc, and then go bad. Why delete a thread with good information when you can simply stop a load of crap. :)

Deleting generally only happens when something wouldn't look good if it was seen by other people, etc.

Plus, even then threads only get deleted so people can't see them, if someone wants a thread back and clarifies something, and it gets edited, we'll "undelete" it.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Alright - that makes sense. Still, the ones I delete immediately are ones where the poster pretty much KNOWS that they were doing something wrong.