Beware of turbomk3@yahoo.com

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
Got an email with a virus attached to it. Probably the same damn bonehead the f'd up the site. He tried sending me a zip file with the virus W32.Netsky.Z@mm. The stupid idiot also doesn't realize that when you send a virus to a yahoo account it recognizes it and won't let you download it. Truly an amateur. He must have a list of our email addresses so beware of turbomk3@yahoo.com

MA70Supra88

Boostless
Mar 31, 2005
Boerne, TX
This could also be something as innocent as someone having a virus on their computer sending out emails without their knowledge, but thanks for the heads up!

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
speaking of amateur, look into how modern viri work and you'll understand how you can get viri from people you do/don't know w/o them doing a dang thing or even being infected....

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
i doubt its that dude's fault. i got several emails from several different members of the old SM containing the same virus. one of them was even 'sent' from an administrator. its probably just the way the virus works...

-shaeff

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
you are right. The virus attaches itself to word documents without your knowledge. Just beware, the email address is actually from a SP member i believe so somebody is screwing with him. Just make sure you scan attachments from this address and you will be fine.

drjonez

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
the motor city
www.4cefed.com
ugh.

you get a virus.

it finds ALL the email addresses on your computer.

it then sends itself to every possible combo of those email addresses.

that's how you get viri.....99.3% of the time it's not people being malicious, etc. just ignorant and unprotected. heck, i've even gotten viri sent to me from myself (no viri problems here either---> MAC!)!

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
And also he didn't send the email he was able to change the header on the address, so in actuallity, scan any attachments from members since this bonehead likes to use our email addresses in the header.

huntin5L

Mar 31, 2005
Niles, IL
I don't have the virus i know what virus that is ive dealt with it before fixing someone elses computer. Yes, people send viruses without there knowledge 99 percent of the time and that is why i use yahoo. Scans attachments automatically and won't let you download them anyway so that solves that.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
To add to the good doctor's diagnosis...

Any halfway intelligent virus doesn't tell the truth about where it is coming from. So, after it infects your computer and starts sending emails to every email address it can find, it also lies about where it's coming from, sending them 'from' every email address you have in your computer as well.

Otherwise, people could do exactly what huntin5L was trying to do - blacklist a specific source, and the virus would be effectively quarantined.

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
I actually got an email with a virus from my own email acct. Being a former network administrator I am totally anal about my own systems and can guarantee 10000% that I do not have any viruses on any system on my network.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
C:\>ping ckanderson

Pinging ckanderson.please.ban.me.net [192.168.1.1] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=128
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.1:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 1, Lost = 3 (75% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\>

KeithH

Mar 31, 2005
Portland, OR
<nothing but the sound of my servers in the background merrily updating themselves and deleting any virus that comes their way>