so i need to fill a gauge cluster...

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
the space under the aftermarket stereo really bugs me, so i bought a gauge bezel on ebay to fit in a DIN sized hole. It has three openings, and the only gauge i really need to put in there is boost, and i'm trying to think of something i might need to fill the other two holes, i was thinking voltmeter and air/fuel, sound good, or is there something else i may need?

J

JerzeySlowpra

a/f gives you somewhat of a reading when your in it as long as you have a good 02 sensor, its no where near as accurate as a wideband though

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
im telling you RIGHT NOW...DO NOT put a gauge that is constantly changing out of plain site...

i have three gauges there as well...i did it back before they even had anything to hold gauges in that area i custom made something from a VW....and having a constantly changing gauge there that needs to be monitored is not a good idea...

right now i have almost exactly what you said... AF and volt and i have my EGT gauge there and it SUCKS....i hate having to look down there....thats why i already have everything i need to move my fuel gauge down there and put my EGT where the ful gauge is...the all my monitored gauges will be in plain view...

you can kinda see what it looks like here:
sm_photo_missing.jpg

supralover2000

12.8 and dropping..
Apr 4, 2005
Long Island, NY
www.mk3.us
^^^^
I agree with the above said statement.
Gauges in that location are useless and a disturbance (while driving), unless they are there to collect data for you to review at a later time (when you are not driving). That being said, if you do decide to do it anyway, then you best get some gauges with a memory (peak and hold) feature. Personally I set up my radio with a turbo timer beneath it alongside my relocated Lighter port (12v output). The only gauge that I use in that area is a Tranny Temp gauge (little fluxation in temp readings) for my built automatic. Here is a pic:
f6c6cec8.jpg

silver88turbo

Former Owner
Mar 30, 2005
Illinois
Yea Im with Ideal on this one. Its hard enough to accurately check your EGT gauge when its mounted on the A-pillar at 110mph. Having to look down is just downright dangerous. Put an AFC or boost controller there.

misc_380.jpg

alloyguitar

it's legal, i swear...
Mar 30, 2005
knoxville, tennessee
yeah, it's the only thing i could think of to put under the stereo, or maybe above it or something, i was thinking of putting my turbo timer there, but the cluster thing was like 10 bucks shipped, so why not, and it'll give the interior a more finished look...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Gotta go with the rest of the guys on this!

I did a hard run through a mountain area yesterday and I barely looked at any instruments let alone any that would be mounted down there!