about 1'' of throttle freeplay

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
i have serious throttle freeplay and from under the hood throttle cable has allot of slack my question is do i just loosen these two nuts pull cable and then retighten or is there more to it i lost myself in the tsrm but i'll keep looking thnx

these are nuts i speek of. its like an inch of throttle i dont get to use.
editone1ou.jpg

edit: CRAP IM NOOB DID THIS IN WRONG SECTION mods if you will to tech.

Last edited:

Boostedstr8six

I have better SA than you
Mar 30, 2005
Near Columbia, the river
I have the same issue. I've adjusted mine as much as the factory bits can go and there is still some slop. I haven't done anything more than the linkage adjustment but I'm wondering if there is something at the pedal that can be inspected. Is the cable stretched?

I almost think the rhd to lhd linkage 'adaptation' was a clever group of engineers retaliating against asinine accountants bent on the bottom line. It just seems wasteful from both engineering and cost perspectives.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Mine had some slop in it, even after tightening it to maximum. And then after awhile it started sticking. I found by looking at someone else’s linkage that mine had lost a nylon washer. And that was what was causing the play. The washer was located in between the upper and lower arms for the throttle and the cruise control.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
dirgle said:
I found by looking at someone else’s linkage that mine had lost a nylon washer. And that was what was causing the play. The washer was located in between the upper and lower arms for the throttle and the cruise control.
same here.... my lower arm (where the end of the throttle link is attached) has MUCH freeplay, in turn causing freeplay in the pedal.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea its a basic thing to look at but tsrm doesnt even mention it or anything having to do w/ gas pedal to throttle control. well atleast i couldnt find it.

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Yeah, they give specs for the transmission kick down cable. But other than that there is nothing. Sad but true. Like stated above. See if your missing a white nylon washer, or if you have one but it is severely worn down.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
post a pic of what this looks like so that way this subject is actualy documented SOMWHERE perhaps sticky in faq????

Dirgle

Conjurer of Boost
Mar 30, 2005
Pauma Valley, CA
Currently my supra is a state away in Colorado so if someone can run out to their supra and confirm this, I would appreciate it. If I remember correctly there are two nylon washers in the locations listed in the pic below. While the pic isn't great it's the best I have.

p7374_1.jpg

Turkish

Apr 4, 2005
I have the same problem dunno what to do about it, along with a clutch that doesnt start disengadgeing(holy shit sp) until the pedal it has about 2 inches left before it comes all the way up(couldnt figure out how to say that) as for the throttle it was really bad like 3 iches of freeplay and there was a part I unscrewed as far as I could to make it as long as possible but still about an inch of play and that piece where you said should have 2 nylon washers I dunno if mine does or not but it is really loose.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
yeah, i just used my JDM throttlebody. :) no throttle linkage for me!

-shaeff

Suprastic

Apr 8, 2005
Manitoba
can someone pst a how to on this. it would make a great stickey for all of us. I was considering buying the A70 linkage from HPF (cant remember who its made by), but it's supposed to eliminate the free play, and you get nice anodized brackets. Only problem is that ots $180 and special order from Japan.