Howto: Hood Emblem Replacement

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
This is a thread I posted on SF a while back, when I had to replace my stolen Hood Emblem:

I have finished replacing my emblem, and I took notes and pictures along the way, so this will be the complete procedure for anyone who does not want any surprises, and the ones who do not want the Emblem Thieves to make them waste their time any more than is absolutely necessary.

1. Take out the headlights according to the instructions in the user manual. Remember to pull fuse 30A while doing this.

2. Take out the three centre nuts and the two each in front of the headlight spaces.

3. Take out both of the black grill pieces (one screw inside), then the indicator lights (two screws outside).

4. Take out the two bolts you can now get at behind the grills.
(Pic 1)

5. Undo the plastic covers in front of the wheel wells (five nuts, one hidden).

6. Reach up and undo both nuts holding the plastic in place at each side of the car. Do the side of the car the battery is on first, it's easiest.
(Pic 2)

The tool I used to get these nuts out:
(Pic 3)

7. Pull the back of the main plastic piece forward and up so the three centre bolts come free. There are two more bolts holding the plastic in, but you do not need to undo them to replace the Emblem.
(Pic 4)

8. You can then get at the little metal clip holding the Emblem in place.

9. The easy part . . .

10. The catch, putting it all back together.

The new Emblem in place:
(Pic 5)

Jim

Attachments

• Front_Hidden_Bolts.jpg
    Front_Hidden_Bolts.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 179
  • Hidden_Side_Nuts.jpg
    Hidden_Side_Nuts.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 160
  • Tool_Used.jpg
    Tool_Used.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Front_More_Hidden_Bolts.jpg
    Front_More_Hidden_Bolts.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 159
  • New_Emblem.jpg
    New_Emblem.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
awesome write up... sure that'll come in handy.. most just urethane the new badges in place and forget trying to put the clip in hehe

when i take the nose cone off i usually just pull the inner guard thingy's and don't remove headlights... but whichever way works ;)

but wicked write up thanks :D

H

Hofajoab

cool i need to replace mine soon (whenever i can find a replacement) as mine blew off a few days whilst over taking someone- so there's probably an old Ford with a Supra badge stuck to its windscreen, oops.

I was thinking i was just going to "weld" it in place with JB-Weld or some such stuff but that's a pikey idea, i much better like yours! now i just need a badge!

JimR

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Canada
Thanks you two! The cheapest I've seen for a new Emblem is $40.05 USD @ 1sttoyotaparts.com

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Mk3 TurboS said:
Anyone done the supra emblem to the new toyota emblem? I like the look of the new badge! Don't shoot me!

Remove the old badge and buy a new one from Toyota, you'll need to tell them the colour of your car, as the new one has a flat backing which is the colour of the car. It will cover up the old square hole for the 86.5-90 emblem.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
x87SUPRA87x said:
Heckler said:
Thanks you two! The cheapest I've seen for a new Emblem is $40.05 USD @ 1sttoyotaparts.com

I had to replace mine a few months ago because mine blew off on the highway and I got one in nice condition from a junkyard for only $5.00

Great post. You got a part at a junkyard for cheaper than it costs new from the dealer, that's very impressive, lol.

The information in this thread is all there, I'm closing it, if any questions come up, post a new thread in the General forums.