Dylan's How To: Auto-up mod, now with pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milenko

Mar 31, 2005
Mifflinville, PA
Well done. This has got to be the easiest car mod ever. It actually cost Toyota more money to NOT have auto-up, than to just leave it in there.

Instead of spending all that extra money on that little tab, maybe they could've done more R&D on the head gasket. :D

mazzer

Banned
May 3, 2005
st.louis,mo
wow. the hardest things were the stupid plugs that cover the screws. thanks for the write up . ive read about this before but was never sure enough about what i was cuttin off to bother taking it apart..

Last edited:

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Milenko said:
Well done. This has got to be the easiest car mod ever. It actually cost Toyota more money to NOT have auto-up, than to just leave it in there.

Instead of spending all that extra money on that little tab, maybe they could've done more R&D on the head gasket. :D

It was a market thing. In Japan the cars had Auto-Up. In fact, pretty much any Toyota from 1985-now with Auto-down had Auto-up in Japan. You'll find rarely though that all the circuitry for the auto-up is already in place. The Supra/Celica switch is the only one I know of where you don't have to add at least 1 diode to the PCB to get it to work.

:)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Joel W. said:
Not trying to knock the idea, but remember our window motors do not have the safety auto reverse built in. So if you have kids or pets, well read this...

http://www.vehicle-injuries.com/window-accidents.htm

This is true, and for people with kids I wouldn't recommend doing this mod, but even if you put your arm in the window, it will stop before hurting you. If it was a child's neck... would probably cause some damage/suffocation.

Allan_MA70

Banned
May 1, 2005
Melbourne, Australia
IJ. said:
Now that's a handy gadget !

How does it sense the pass side window being full closed?
(this is built into the driver side switch)

when the window stops going up the current draw go's up, i'd say it sences this!

good item for a group buy save $10 each one if you buy 4+

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Typically a DC motor like is used for the power windows uses about 2A when in motion, once it it's the end of it's travel, or even something blocking it's travel, that jumps to approx. 10A, this kicks a relay to stop the power to the motor.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Jeff Lange said:
Typically a DC motor like is used for the power windows uses about 2A when in motion, once it it's the end of it's travel, or even something blocking it's travel, that jumps to approx. 10A, this kicks a relay to stop the power to the motor.

Yes on the Driver side but does it do it on the Pass side as well?
(never tried to see what happens if you keep the button on after the beep)

Status
Not open for further replies.