Got a new job (career).!!!

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
I started my new job today, I have been TRYING to get into this place for OVER 2 years now...since it is a gateway ( foot in the door ) in getting into or getting to where I want to be!

I am working at MTMC ( middle tennessee medical center ) owned by Saint Thomas hospitals ( one of thelargest in the SE). I am working in the O.R. ( operating room ) section called STERILE SUPPLY...basically put we clean and put together and get items to the operating room.....very very very cool job!

I get to have lunch with anastesiologists, neurologists, ob/gyn's.....you name it their in there!

The reason I have persued this position is that I am going into Radiology ( full scope radialogy doctorate) or even go into anastesia which is still on my mind.

I am so happy, just the way things have worked out I could not say anything but God above is helping me out and watching over me.

Its funny how I got the job, me and my mother were driving back one week ago and were talking about school and medicine....I had put over 3 applications in the last 2 years at MTMC and heard nothing but "we will call YOU"....

So we went and filled out an application and not 3 hours later while I was sitting at my house, we get a call from Dr. Virgal saying that he was interested in me and wanted to have me in an interview.

The interview was 2.5 hours long....very in depth ( not for the weak minded)....he had 30+ other people to interview for the postion ( some that were already in college persuing a medicine degree and wanted a position at the hospital)......out of those 30+ people, 3 of us were picked and I was one! The background check took 8 days!!!!...LOL

All in all I could not ask for anything more. I am soo happy around these people, everyone is making a difference in peoples lives...I know there is alot of pain and anguish in a hospital but its all for the better.

Today was funny though, I got a call from O.R. Room #8 ( we have 10 operating rooms) saying they needed a Adams Ericson forscith and gaws etc. etc....so I get them from the shelf ( we stock 10,000 items back there) and run them to the O.R. room......the scrubbs and the surgeons in there were all busy with Aerosmith playing in the background ( no joke LOL LOL LOL ...I could hardly contain myself).....and the patient, well he was laid out cold with his intestines on his chest ( evidentally he was having some sort of biopsy???)....well when I handed one of the nurses the items the doctor leaned to pick them off the roller table.....and the guys intestines almost fell of his chest and hit the ground hahahahahh, the doctor cought them in time though hahahahahha

But anyways, I will update this later......is so nice working with people with the same mindset as me!

-Jonathan Mann

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
lanky189 said:
you change jobs like i change underwear.

often.

no no LOL....I have been substituting jobs for quite sometime until I found me a job at the hospital, no joke. Its where I have been wanting to be for quite sometime!
Dell was just a sales job and never intended to be a career...just quick money ( traveling 40 minutes a day to work was crazy though and not worth it)
the airbrush place was a reboud for my old relationship and after I got layed off at DELL.
the dodge place...well that went over well until management decided to crumble....so who wants to work at a place where all the managers threaten your jobs?
and the last job was washing cars at another dodge dealership....quick and extremely easy money....hahahah

thats about it.

The Hospital, Its the only place where I can get real hands on experiance and make money at it too.....and vastly improve my chances and success rate in the medical field.

-Jonathan

CPT Furious

Now MAJ FURY!
Mar 30, 2005
KDOV
I personally like flying inverted...:)

But only 30 seconds at a time...then I have to see how far I can glide!

Congrats on the job! There will always be a need for medical care.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
siman said:
stop thinking about what you cant have :biglaugh:
ROFLMAO glad I wasn't eating/drinking when I read this!
(would be cleaning the monitor and KB now if I were!)
(replace "can't have" with "don't want" and ya would be more accurate!)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
LOL now if I were to ever turn you can rest assured it wouldn't be for you Siman! (The term "beaten with the Ugly Stick" or "Fell out of the Ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down" spring to mind! Not to mention "Head Like a Smashed Crab" ) ;)

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Good news on you finding a job you like, Siman.
Having a job you enjoy as well as one that can improve your career is awesome.

I bet most really hate their jobs. Many really hate their spouses (lol).

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
SIMAN: thats actually the job i was going to get if it hadnt been full time and during my school. im working at the hospital right now so my foot is in the door for the same job as you. what i saw is that there are sooooo many different types of procedures that require entirely different materials and tools. they showed me the index of all the procedures and listings of what is needed and it was bigger than a damn encyclopedia set. congrats on the job i may be headed in the same path but just as a way to pay for college. let me know how it is, from what i am told by the people that do that its pretty bloody as far as cleanup goes.

and i was kind of grossed out when i found out that ALL of the metal surgury tools are just reused and repackaged right there in the hospital and then put back in the little "sterile" bags. now when i look at the sterile tome droor i think of how many rounds that certain scalpal has had.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
americanjebus said:
and i was kind of grossed out when i found out that ALL of the metal surgury tools are just reused and repackaged right there in the hospital and then put back in the little "sterile" bags. now when i look at the sterile tome droor i think of how many rounds that certain scalpal has had.

umm u do know what bleach is right?
its the cure for AIDS too, im pretty sure they are sterile again.

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
We use HUGE vats of heating and cooling mechanisms called "auto claves".....very very very good at fighting germs. Every time we re-package sterile tools we put a 3m strip in the bag ( good for one year) that changes color if air or any bacteria culture is present....

the steps that are taken to clean the items is VERY VERY in depth not just dish washing tools. LOL

It can be bloody and even gutty if you know what I mean when you get the stuff ready for cleaning....but after that its all gravy. Wrapping the tools just took me a couple of hours to get down!

I dont get queezy looking at blood though...its nothing to me.

as for knives and such, they throw away scapal ends, they are NOT reusable. Everything that is re-used is in the clamp or snip form....sutures and what not.
Knives are NOT re-used essentiallly.

-Jonathan

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
D34DC311 said:
yes they are, they just melt them down and use them for like a tin can. :)

....or melt down the aluminum handles and use them for coke cans...yum yum!

I just got back from playing paintball from a paintball field...first time out, I am hooked!

-Jonathan

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
siman said:
....or melt down the aluminum handles and use them for coke cans...yum yum!

I just got back from playing paintball from a paintball field...first time out, I am hooked!

-Jonathan
ur worthless dont go to a field.
find some peeps to play with, get ur own gun and ur set
i have a field that we play on about every month. im sure u saw the gun i have, ill be getting an A5 soon so watch out.:biglaugh: