running without a dp

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
is it safe to run without a dp? I'm not talking about driving around and stuff, I'm just talking about idling and maybe a slight bit of reving.

I'm going to be done with my engine and should have it in the car but I won't have a dp yet. obviously i want to get any bugs worked out as soon as I can but I'll have to wait about a week or two before I can get a dp.

can I be idling/reving without a dp?

S

Slow Poopra 7MGTE

i dont really think it would hurt anything, i've seen mk4's at the track before with nothing

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Open elbow does sound like junk. I tested my clutch for the very 1st time with no exhaust. It runs fine and all. But I would never drive it like that.

jaydm16

May 2, 2005
I ran cooleeze a downpipe with a 90 degree turndown elbow until i was forced to make the worlds must unreliable car my daily driver. Then I threw a 3 inch with magnaflow on it...its really quiet now.

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
yea i was "cleaning" my cat and decided wtf im gonna drive arround with just the 3'' cooleeze on. i turned it on and it sounds like a full on tractor/semi. i backed out of my driveway and as soon as i got to 1200 rpm i could heer this loud ass semi spool and i floored it and omg i was screaming at my friend in the passenger seat and i could not even hear myself scream it was so god damn loud. i started going up this road next to some people and the kid actually covered his ears.

the noise alone will shake the car if you floor it but omg the blow off sounds like gods own music.

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Cool thanks guys :)

Like I said, I have NO plans to run this outside the back yard, I just want to do it for testing purpouses

YoNkErS87t

streetside mechanic
Mar 31, 2005
In the Garage
SP 7M said:
I don't know about anyone else, but I'm getting a kick out of some posts here.

I hope you're not talking about me i'm just curious. I would never run on the streets with out a downpipe. Maybe at the track, but i would rather run at the track like i would run on the street, so atleast i know what i have.

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
i ran open dp for nearly a full year.
its not that bad, but if you see a cop, and you're going uphill, you may as well pull over in anticipation... there's no quieting the beast uphills...

and it's amazing and cool and you cant get enough of it for like 3 months....
then its annoying and you avoid driving the car, and you hate the sound, and you want an exhaust... i did, so badly so, that i put my stock exhaust back on... open dp to factory exhaust is quite a difference.

but, the strange thing is that when you get sick of open dp, give it a week and it's like its brand new again... it's an odd thing...

SP 7M

Use your GUY instinct
Apr 6, 2005
Oceanside (for now), CA
www.myspace.com
YoNkErS87t said:
I hope you're not talking about me i'm just curious. I would never run on the streets with out a downpipe. Maybe at the track, but i would rather run at the track like i would run on the street, so atleast i know what i have.
Maybe I am, maybe not. I didn't include any names or quotes to pick on anyone. I was just stating a fact.

Ask yourself this, though. Where would all that heat go?

supra90turbo

shaeff is FTMFW!
Mar 30, 2005
MA, 01440
Slow66 said:
I dotn care what ANY of you say....open dp is MUSIC :)
agreed!!!
just not after your neighbors who all liked you now hate you because you leave for work at 7am every morning.....

but, "das ownly in da mownins.... you should be up cookin breffus in da mownins..."

i think my favorite part about open dp was going down a tight winding road at 90+ at the top of third, no shifting, 3rd was just right. loud and fast. when the road straightened out, i shifted straight into 5th. my friend looked at me, and said "holy fucking shit that was awesome... can we go back and do that again?" haha