Tell me if you get this. (kinda long)

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Alright, I know i've posted alot of crap about my problems, but no ones really been able to help yet.

Last week, The supra started running all crappy. It felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, had to feather the gas to keep it running, the only time it would run normal is in boost. The problem would come and go, usually not doing it until it warmed up, or until i boosted.. Than the problem became constant, it would run crappy, wouldnt clear up, and be a pain to drive anywhere.
Than it stopped starting all together.. It would crank and crank.. not fire.

So I let it sit, for about 4 days, I tried starting it yesturday, no go.

So today, i'm out working on it. Pulled the coilpack cover thing off.. I figure, what the hell.. An i try to start it.. it fires! and runs perfect.. So i let it sit, im going around checking all the various connections, everything is fine.. The coil pack isnt bolted down, but the individual coils are on tight..
So i took it around the block a few times, took it on the road, boosted it up in first.. Low an behold it started running crappy again, it wasnt as bad.. but it took a bit of feathering to keep it running out of boost. By the time i got home it cleared up and was running fine.

WTF is going on? My DSM kinda did the same thing when the coil was going out, could it be?

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Yeah, i see the rubber dodads, their exposed now.. should i put the bolts for the coil cover on there? (The peice that has 24v INTERCOOLED thing)

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
Obvious things first. Don't take shortcuts. Bolt down the coil pack and make sure it has a good ground. More then likely that's your problem. In fact check all your grounds and connections...then recheck. Stuff like coil packs floating around, dirty connectors and loose grounds are going to give you exactly the kind of intermittant problems that you are experiencing. Please post and let us know how it works out. Your phrase for the day is "clean and tighten" .

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
There should be a ground strap with a tiny phillips screw in the coilpack, grounding it to the intake manifold.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
JD7: Sorry I didn't reply I'm out in the worshop and got sidetracked prepping machines for work next week.

Good advice from the guys here!

Check all the grounds and maybe give the terminals a light rub with some sand paper before refitting them.

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
I went out an bolted down the coilpack, tight.. also tightened the lil allen keys.
When it starts off it runs crappy full time.. I havnt checked any of the other terminals or anything.. Is it okay to use "Battery cleaner/acid detect" on them? for battery terminals?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
have you found the GROUDNING wire is like 4-5 inches long comes out of the driver side of the coil pack mine is white and it bolts next to your fuel rail and intake manifold. first find that one wire, take it off, clean it, clean the bolts and the surface then bolt it back on making sure its making a good contact.

find that wire it sounds like your losing your ground as you drive and when you took off your plastic engine cover your somehow got it to toch but as you drove it lost contact. check that.

JD7Monster

Jul 6, 2005
Orlando, FL
Yeah thats wierd, maybe I lost the ground and thats when it wouldnt fire at all.. and now that i re-bolted it its just running like ass? cuz it found the ground but its not that good? Bahh i dont know, i'm considering just buying a cheap beater and saving for a 1jz swap.. If i had another car to drive i could do the swap myself instead of worrying about the supra being my DD.

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
try running a long wire with aligator clips from the coil bracket to the NEG. terminal of the battery and see what that does, if it still runs like ass then grounging is not the problem. then check the CPS plug and wiring as Jake ( IHI-RHC7 ) stated. this is a natorious problem, you might want to go and hard wire or change the plug for the hell of it. you can hit up your local Pep Boys and pick up a male & female Packerd / GM weather pack plugs and terminals ( 4 wire ones ) and change out the OEM plug.

Note: if you do change the plug with the GM units from Pep Boys, make sure that you wire it correct ( wire colors are different on the two sides of the OEM plug ) also, on the GM plugs, make sure that you terminal the correctly otherwise you will run into problems, the male terminals go into the female housing and vis-versa, the female terminals go into the male housing.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
I would try to find a supra buddy, and borrow different components, and see is any of them help.
I.E. use an ignitor from a car that runs good, coil pack, plug wires, etc...

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
Jake, agreed, but the part that you have to be careful with with doibg that, is that if there is something that might of caused a part to go out, it might also ruin you buddies part. had it happen to be because of a short.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
cjsupra90 said:
Jake, agreed, but the part that you have to be careful with with doibg that, is that if there is something that might of caused a part to go out, it might also ruin you buddies part. had it happen to be because of a short.
LOL damn ya beat me to it Chris!!

cjsupra90

previously chris90na-t
Jun 11, 2005
Lakeland, FL
age had nothing to do with it. LOL I'm 28 and cant type really that fast.... Anyway, now that we have sort-of hijacked his thread.

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
Damn you fast typers, I was trying to catch up on my other threads...
Agreed. But isn't that what "real" friends are for?
;)