starting point

hud43

hud43
Aug 15, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Ok guys, here's the deal. I have stumbled across two MkIII's, Yes two. One is a '90 7M-GTE Manual trany, Black mica, Targa, and one is a '89 7M-GTE Manual trany, Red, targa. The '90 looks like it's just going to be a Parts car even though the engine and body is in way better shape. (all vin's have been scratched out. From what I was told the engine has 90k and the body 200k. The '89 just from the looks on the suface has rust and the paint is crap, so I'm scared to start digging into it for fear that it's a rust bucket. Plus the targa leaks bad and it's not through the seal. The car and engine have 118k but it was not taken care of. The engine is way weak. I think it may have a blown HG. Plus I blew the top of the raidiator open the first day I had it playing with my new toy. So... the question is where do I start? I'm thinking pull the '89 engine and do a full rebuild? But what kind of money am I looking? I've wanted a supra for a long time and now I have two that are going to be work. And I'm a perfectionist. So if any one has any advice let me have it!
-HUD

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
if you have a year and $4k in replacement parts depending on how much of a perfectionist you are get both and just take your time cleaning them both out completely and take off the heads and look at the cylinder walls, test the heads for hardness and strip your chasis and label all of your good parts and go from there.

i've cleaned everything on my car to the point where i think i am almost done. if this was just your project......... it actually sounds like fun even though you probably KNOW that it will get very stressfull at times.

hud43

hud43
Aug 15, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Well, it's been four years, a move across the country from Florida to Washington State, and two deployments (Navy), one in Japan for three months JUL07-SEP07 and one on the aircraft carrier USS Theodore Roosevelt CVN-71 for Seven months SEP08-APR09.
Oh the car...
Engine and head are rebuilt and I have bought most of the 7M parts Driftmotion has to offer (they really do have the best deals, Thanks Dave). I'm in over $10K including the vehicle price and getting screwed on a low mileage JDM engine. Currently the car is completely stripped in preparation for paint (add $5K). And still a list of things to get. I will soon start a build thread to document putting my girl, Megan, all back together.

Off comment... Too many of you knuckle heads ask questions with out using SEARCH!!! Quit your wining and gashing, listen to what the moderators say, read the stickies and work for the project or sell the Supra to some one who will put the time into it and appreciates it!

Last edited:

Koenigturbo

Oct 4, 2006
Oxnard CA
Not sure why you would chose a prodject that would cost you more time and money, it it because the "89 has less miles??
According to "S.M' the 90 is a better platform anyway.
I.M.H.O. I think, in my opinion, by rebuilding an "89" that's already "behind the eight ball" is throwing good money after bad, it's already rusted, why spend the money repairing rust, it's costly, I bet it's gonna cost you two, three hundred dollors just to get it to sqaure one. Where that two, three hundred dollors could go some where usefull. Unless. you insit on loving your "89", I'd switch over the rust free "90" parts over to the "89" Just think, you wouldn't have to pay anyone to do it. Or You can pay your self the sweet victory of a prodject that needed a lot of work to a sweet ride.:biglaugh:

Last edited:

hud43

hud43
Aug 15, 2005
Oak Harbor, Washington
Not to worry, I know I stated that the '89 may be a rust bucket. That's not the case. Like I said it's all striped down now and no rust found.
A little back story about the '90. It's been totaled! Literally by an insurance agency, that's why all the VIN's have been scrached out. Then to add to that in the process of towing across the country a catastrophic event happened in NW Arkansas, it blew a tire and the conditions were just right for the dif to hit the pavement and rip the rear end from the frame. It's impressive to see!!! Ripped the box frame like it was paper. No, the '89 is a much better choice to put money into. The only thing needing replacing is the passenger door and that's an easy swap form the '90.