type-r supra

JDM 1JZ

I hate Tires
Aug 31, 2005
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
I just imported a 1JZ from Japan and am wondering if all 1JZ's are Type-R cars. I have also was told that they were capable of reving up to 9 grand. I would like to know if this is true so i don't have to blow up my motor. thanks

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
No, not all 1JZ [JZA70] Supras are TT-Rs. The 2.5 TwinTurbo-R is different. All TT-R cars are certain colors, I believe.. black or dark green? They are all hardtops, all have 5-speed transmissions, have a full recaro interior and a 4-spoke Momo steering wheel. Their front lip spoiler also has front air ducts.

They might come in more colors, but those are the only I have seen.
Anyone else know anything?

OneJoeZee

Retired Post Whore
Mar 30, 2005
aboard the Argama
drunk_medic said:
No, not all 1JZ [JZA70] Supras are TT-Rs. The 2.5 TwinTurbo-R is different. All TT-R cars are certain colors, I believe.. black or dark green? They are all hardtops, all have 5-speed transmissions, have a full recaro interior and a 4-spoke Momo steering wheel. Their front lip spoiler also has front air ducts.

They might come in more colors, but those are the only I have seen.
Anyone else know anything?

i think the colors varied more than that. at least white should be added to that list i think for sure

JDM 1JZ

I hate Tires
Aug 31, 2005
Cherry Hill, New Jersey
This is the car it's a hardtop tt.
photo-usedcar-supra92black-front.htm
photo-usedcar-supra92black-rear.htm
photo-usedcar-supra92black-interior.htm

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Yes, they are supposed to have badging that says "2.5 TwinTurbo R" where normal JZA70s have "2.5 TwinTurbo" and MA70s have "Turbo" on the rear left moulding.

The steering wheel will look like the picture below. Note that the center piece with the Momo horn button may or may not be installed on the steering wheel.
wheel.jpg

That car does have rain guards, folding mirrors and the rear hatch visor. Hrmm..

Well, if it's left hand drive, and/or automatic, it's not a true TT-R. You are in Jersey? - that car isn't legal unless the person paid a shitload of money to import it, or did something tricky/illegal.

I don't know, man. I suppose that with enough resources, you could make a US Spec car look exactly like a TT-R, but I have no idea why he has a blank rear left moulding.

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
no sir thats not the recaro interior. looks like a regular 1j. still a beautiful car though and a 1j too! :icon_bigg

S

Slow Poopra 7MGTE

the picture doesnt say anything, like the first car, just differant interiors, he showed me a picture earlier, also how much hp does a regular 1jz supra make stock compared the the type R

Stanzaspeed

2.5 Twin Turbo R
Staff member
Mar 30, 2005
Calgary, AB
i think they would be the same, as they are both ijz cars. the ttr one i beleive is just to denote that it was a recaro interior special edition. there may be a few other differences but the guru's of the board would know more than me.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
The TT-R did come in automatic, the TT-R auto had the 3.91 Torsen diff, while the 5-speed had the 4.10 Torsen diff. Power for the TT-R was the same as the regular JZA70.

The TT-R also had the momo steering wheel, shift knob, and the Recaro seats.

I can't tell you exactly what colours came on them, the TT-R was the only Supra that got the Dark Green Mica though, it definitely came in blue and black as well.

All 90-93 MK3's in Japan had the same front lip, the TT-R did not have a special one.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Yeah, that's right - the TT-R had the Torsen 4.11:1 differential and the Billshtein shocks all around. Forgot about those ones..

That picture, the Recaro seats look correct, however the steering wheel does not.. but that's not hard for someone to change. Some people just like 3-spoke better.

encomiast

boosted kraut
Mar 31, 2005
germany
Jeff Lange said:
I can't tell you exactly what colours came on them, the TT-R was the only Supra that got the Dark Green Mica though, it definitely came in blue and black as well.
Don't know where you got that information from, but dark green was also available over here for '91 and up MA70s.... just a FYI :)