Driveshaft??

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
I might have a problem with my drivetrain, mainly my drive shaft. i dont know what it is but it got worse last night. after doing my same motor na swap, i was required to remove the transmission to allow me to correctly place the engine back. So right after getting it running I made sure that all neccesary liquids and oils were replenished and so forth. Then a small problme emerged. A small thump almost like a book falling on the floor boeard sounded everytime from 1st gear into 2nd, I just thought it might have been a back fire in the exhaust. But just last night it started doing it in 2nd to 3rd. Also last night it got pretty bad because when I got on the gas from 1st into 2nd, I heard the :thump repeatedly almost with no puase. Thump thump etc.

I was hoping some one could help me diagnose the situation so that I may correct the problem accordingly.
Thanks

jayR

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
yep, the connection between the driveshaft and the diff and then check the carrier bearing bolts into the body. mine backed out on me and it would chatter at low speed and in reverse. turns out they had backed themself out almost half an inch.

ts_MKIII

Aug 8, 2005
Virginia Beach
welps i went under the car and found the problem, its not the driveshaft is self, but the center bearing that holds and balances the drive shaft.

its a circular object with rubber that lines the inside.

well mine is messed up and the rubber has been rubbeb off an aprt so thats the cause of the bumps it basically bumps up and hit the chasssis since there is nothting to hold it down and in place. now my question is does ne one have the center bearing that i am looking for.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
ask at your local truck repair shop where you can get a drive shaft made. it wont be AL but itll be lighter than stock, single piece, and not nearly as expensive as an AL or CF drive shaft.

Supraholic

Mar 31, 2005
Houston, TX
My cars rear end made a rolling noise.. inspected the center bearing.. it was loose.. the driveshaft was moving all over the place.. so, i bought a center bearing from Jeff W. Now the jerking during downshifting went away.. but rolling noise continues...