Hg and head stud ?'s

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
I got my head all back on and all torqued down to find out that my studs for the turbo manifold are stripped so I am going to either just get a rebuilt head or bring it to a machine shop and have them fix it and clean it up. My question is how many times can you reuse arp head studs? And also, I put my cometic hg on and now I have to take my head back off so can I reuse the hg since it hasn't been driven any or do I have to get a new one. I hope i don't because I could use that money to fix my head. Thanks a lot in advance.

Jon

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
the mhg should be reusable, but you might have the clean the surfaces and use some gasket spray. I'm pretty sure the arp's are re-usable as long as they don't stretch or chew up the threads or anything. I helicoiled the head on my car since the studs were stripping. It was a PITA but everybody says it's really worth it since they won't strip again. There's a thread on here about how to do it while the engine is in the car. Do a search if you're interested.

jam4484

MKIII Lover
Jul 24, 2005
Tolland CT
How would I check to see if the arps stretched or is there no real way of telling if they stretched or not?

Jon

billspreston01

Jun 2, 2005
North Carolina
IIRC the studs are really really strong. I would think they wouldn't stretch or deform unless you were running gobs of boost and then blew the headgasket and horribly warped the head. Anybody else?