Whats the deal with the owners manual capacities?

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
So I'm putting in coolant today and I look it up in the manual and for a turbo-auto car The capacity comes out to be like 2.1 gallons. (8.something L) So I go ahead and dump a bottle of coolant in; and then I get like another 1/4 gallon of water in before its overflowing out the cap. I would up having to drain out the radiator of coolant just to get the mixture even close to correct. Even with the overflow included the capacity was not even close. More like 1.5 gal; 2 gal barely with a PWR rad. Not a bubble of air in the system either.

So in the end I should have wound up with approximately a 50/50 mix. I drained enough coolant to allow 3/4 gal of water to be put in. I also leaned the mix out a bit in the overflow for the rich mix in the main system.

Is the manual somehow very off? Or is my car just wierd for some reason? Let me know your experiences.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
That must have been what I did. I didn't open the drain on the block; I'll admit it. dumbass mistake.

I do know that there is not any residual bad coolant left in there tho since I did run the prestone flush kit and backflushed the whole system for like 5 minutes. Perfect clear water emerged.

So now, after thinking that I had the PWR at 50/50 (probabyl closer to 70/30 since there was pure water in the block) Then I emptied it; then refilled it too rich on coolant the diluted coolant in the block probably set me righ at about 50/50 now.

OK, from now on; I open the block drain too.

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
having your car at a tilt would effect it too, i couldn't put everything in. and after a night of sitting i could put the rest in

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Yep its there. I actually just ignored it thinking "how much could be in there" turns out, about 1/2 gallon somehow.

Every time I drive it now I see a bit less in the overflow. And since I'm dead posotive there are no leaks it must be filling in some air gaps. I do hear *some* waterfall; but only for like 2 seconds at a time and only when I just start the car up. If it proceeds I'll have to burp it but I want to see if it'll just kind of go away, lol.

I never actually saw that drainplug myself either. But the TSRM and owners manual both say its there, so I assume it must be.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Well, I checked when I got home, and it's damn well there allright. It looks to be pretty solidly seized in there on my block, I'm thinking that getting it out would be impossible, especially considering the location. If the engine is in the car, the only possible way to get at it would be from underneath, and even at that it would be a tin plated bitch to get at. Kinda pointless to be able to get at it while the engine is out, like mine.

lanternman

Apr 21, 2005
MI
I don't really see the point in using it anyway. If you did indeed flush the system then you are left with just water in the block, in which case you do exactly as mkiiiman089 did which is to put all the coolant in and whatever else will fit is water. Regardless of pulling the drain plug you are never going to get all the coolant out unless you pull the block and tip it over. Besides, as with everything else you pull off this motor there is something you have to buy to put it back on. :)

GrimJack said:
Well, I checked when I got home, and it's damn well there allright. It looks to be pretty solidly seized in there on my block, I'm thinking that getting it out would be impossible, especially considering the location. If the engine is in the car, the only possible way to get at it would be from underneath, and even at that it would be a tin plated bitch to get at. Kinda pointless to be able to get at it while the engine is out, like mine.

I hadn't heard that one in a while, it cracked me up. :biglaugh: