O-ring head

MK3less

Money eating monster
Jun 3, 2005
Mass
o.k so Iam new to the 7m engine but I am not new to turbo motors and in the past with my previous motor project I have had the head o-ring. my Q is whith the 7M being so nitorious for BHG has anybody had their head O-ring with success or does the 7m doesnt take well to the o-ring or you guys are just relying on metal gaskets alone. thanks for any info i am just trying to get as much info as possible on the 7M :biglaugh:

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
I typed this before. Now is my chance to put it here.
Tony said:
I asked FOUR machine shops about this question.
They said the cylinders were too close together and would not work as members here said. One machinist was even dedicated to racing motor work and shys away from street going cars.
My heart was set on it because my hot rod Camaro buddy used to tell me that it is the ultimate seal and you can't do better than that.
I also talked to a manufacturer of copper gaskets and they told me that it seals the cylinders better but not the coolant & oil lines.
They also told me that it should be O'ringed ABOVE a certain HP rating. But not necessary for low HP engines.
After talking to the manufacturer, I had a strong impression that this setup was for insane dragcars that get torn apart on a regular basis and def not street-going cars.
Just thought I'de share since I asked everyone possible at the time.

Adjuster will tell you that using Permatex Brake Quiet works wonderful.
Others are starting to do that as well.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
Tony is correct.

If you look at our block and heads for that matter. There is not alot of breathing room for O-ring on the block. Copper gasket seal well because they are soft. But also keep in mind that the melting point of copper is LOW. Meaning that is why dragster use em. Great seal since it is soft and maleable but need to be tossed after each run as you WILL lose some copper during the run.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
There used to be a Composite Gasket on the market that had Hi Tensile Steel O-Rings inside the Fire Rings of the Gasket!

While it's not true O-Ringing it provided localised pressure to seal the Cylinders and from memory was done to address Motors with close bore spacing that couldn't use conventional O-Rings!

If I can remember the Brand I'll post but this was a lot of years ago I found them when I was building my old Toyota V8 but ended up O-Ringing the Liners.

MK3less

Money eating monster
Jun 3, 2005
Mass
so it cant be done on the 7m. well thanks for the info. thats a nother thing a lot of machine shops will tell you o-ring is not good for a street cars but we have a few hi-boost street car whith o-ring with grate success .