7mgte head and Cams

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
OK, so I tore into my 7mgte and noticed the cams were..... worn pretty badly........ and there are grooves in the head itself also..... is this normal since there are no bearings, or do I need to start looking for a head and some cams?
Dad told me not to go 7m..... :3d_frown:

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
It came from a 91..... I'm just concerned that the cams should be all nice and shiny like the crank... that's really all I got..... lol. 5/6ms are so much easier....

tlo86

Ninja Editor 'Since 05'
Jul 24, 2005
Colorado
if they look worn, and there is damage to the head you need to replace. is it discolored too? like a funky blue?

IHI-RHC7

"The Boss"
Apr 1, 2005
Oregon
If it has radial grooves, then there is no worries, as these simply hold oil like a chamfer and keep the cam journal lubricated. If it is pitted and rough, then you should source new cams.
If the "bearing" surfaces in the head are pitted then the head can be line bored, and it will lower the cams in the head by about .5-1 thousandth of an inch. Then you will have new machined surfaces, and everything should work fine.
I'd polish the cams up a bit and make sure that there are no raised spots on them to marr the head, and then plastiguage it. If it is worn then you will have loose clearances, which will lower oil pressure, and lead to other bad things. If it is tight, then all is well as long as things aren't digging into each other.

Just my 2 psi...

-Jake