im hearing my trans die???

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
this has been bothering me all summer and well gawd damnit its getting worse.

i used to just have a weird buzzing sound coming from under my bellhousing like the sound of exhaust that isnt bolted down all the way.

well at first it only did it when totally warmed up and at idle no gas. and i get this gay buzzing sound i have to sit and listen to it. if i put it in D. i can hear it buzz if i put it in N it kind of goes away. if i put it in P it comes back and its noticable.

as the summer progressed it started doing it every time i had it in D. and the other day with some free time i just sat in an empty parking lot trying to figure this bitch out. it was totally quite and what i did was put it in D. and hold hte brake and i could hear a very faint

whir whir whir whir at a fast pace like the sound of a disc sliding against another very softly.

when i let off the brake it went away and rolled forward. i pressed the brake and hte
whir whir whir whir came back.
i put it in N and i just got hte buzzing chatter sound

the tranny does not slip, i totally flushed it by myself with royal purple, it has never been serviced to my knowledge or had the metal filter changed. (i don trust many mechanics cus as soon as i talk to them they prove they dont know what they are talking about like the time they wanted $300 to change spark plugs) and its always assumed that its gona cost a thousand bucks or that they need $$ just to look at it and geuss what is wrong.

what should i look at to determine what is wrong,
-no oil leeks
-no transimssion leeks
-transmission fluid has been in for 2k miles and is bright red like new
-the car hold power great and drives perfect
- one thing, if i am half throttle and at a constant speed, if i let off of the gas and get back on accelertor i can feel a lag and then a lock up in hte drivetrain as if i had my driveshaft loose or something but its checked and ok.

i'm out of ideas right now my thought is torque converter and flywheel but i dunno.
ANY ideas.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
well auto tranny DO wear out. Hopefully it is not the clutch packs in the auto tranny.

If it is the tc. Check for loose metal particles in the old tranny fluid. Also I hope you used what toyota recommends ( dexron II).

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
how many miles you have on the trans? it sounds like it needs a torque converter to me. but then again i really dont know much bout yoda transmissions. im used to old gm hotrods. but still it *KINDA* makes the same sound. the t.c. acts like a pump and the thing just might be weak. got anykinda slip/jurk/*slip* under load?

americanjebus

Mr. Evergreen
Mar 30, 2005
wa.
the car itself is fairly young its got 72k original miles on everything

i saved a jar of the old fluid and its dark like cherry coke but no flakes at all i ran a magnet in it and nothing came out

no slip under load it just downshifts when i really floor it like it normally would. the issue is its making this broken noise but its doesnt act like its broken i feel like i just knocked something loose but havent broken anything.

what pisses me off is that its so new considering its never really seen that many miles.