Oil system maint.

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
pulling motor for head gasket and rear main seal and oil pan. anything I can do to better my chances of not having serious problems with oil system?

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
make sure you put the seal in correctly, not backwards like I did :aigo: . Use the Toyota gasket goo for the oil pan also, not a cork gasket as I have heard nothing but bad about cork.
eric

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Go ahead and put a front crank seal in, and make sure the seal surface on the dampner is not grooved. If it is, you can have a sleeve put on at the machine shop, so the new seal won't leak. By sure to put RTV on the crank bolt, as they can leak oil from under the bolt head by running down the crank between it and the dampner. (when I was at Toyota, I saw that problem several times.)
Check oil pump clearances, and repair if needed. How's oil pressure ? Maybe time for pressure regulator ?

Me? I'd look at the bearings while I was that deep into it.

Timing belt ?

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
good info here, so no gasket at all in the oil pan just sealant? also I have no idea what my oil pressure is like (sending unit's deader) what do I need to have in order to check clearances? I'm just used to turning wrenches so this is uncharted terratory. should I just take the thing into a machine shop and have them do it?

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
The bolt has a big flange on it, like a built-in washer. I put a bead (like toothpaste)around the shank of the bolt, on that flange, so when installed, it will fill the small empty area between it and the crank end. Any extra will just squeeze out from bolt.