Where to find upper gasket set?

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
not sure if this is the right place to post this, so mods please move if needed.

Anyone know where to find a Upper Gasket Set for a good price?i've heard they exist but havent been able to find, i know if i get them from toyota seperately it'll be expensive, might be worth it but i want to shop around first.

thanks.

aye mate

Hiatus over.
Mar 30, 2005
Maryland
I got my kit from Toyota for about 275 bucks, and that was a local dealer, I'm sure you can get a better price from Jeff Watson. There are other kits out there but personally I wouldn't go with anything but Toyota. The head gaskets are re-designed and, when used with arp hardware, will hold a good amount of power. My kit came with manifold gaskets, valve seals, egr gaskets, head gasket, T-stat gasket, cam seals, and probably some other stuff I forgot, but make sure to order the turbo gasket set too, as it comes with the oil gaskets for the feed and return lines to the turbo and a new o2 housing (elbow) gasket.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
aye mate said:
I got my kit from Toyota for about 275 bucks, and that was a local dealer, I'm sure you can get a better price from Jeff Watson. There are other kits out there but personally I wouldn't go with anything but Toyota. The head gaskets are re-designed and, when used with arp hardware, will hold a good amount of power. My kit came with manifold gaskets, valve seals, egr gaskets, head gasket, T-stat gasket, cam seals, and probably some other stuff I forgot, but make sure to order the turbo gasket set too, as it comes with the oil gaskets for the feed and return lines to the turbo and a new o2 housing (elbow) gasket.

:umno:

even the "re-designed" hg sucks...and anyone doing all that work will most likely be using a hks or cometic hg anyways so the hg that comes in the kit is for nothign anyways.

ebay is the best place...ive built about 5 engines using ebay gasket sets and they cost about 120 bucks shipped. and are constantly on there....

cant beat it...the only thing that sucks about those kits is the TB gasket which leaks...buy some gasket maker and cut one of your own... and youll be done.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7966821664&category=46098&sspagename=WDVW
this is a set for 95 bucks plus shipping. ive used this set a few times...

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Idealsupra said:
:umno:

even the "re-designed" hg sucks...and anyone doing all that work will most likely be using a hks or cometic hg anyways so the hg that comes in the kit is for nothign anyways.

ebay is the best place...ive built about 5 engines using ebay gasket sets and they cost about 120 bucks shipped. and are constantly on there....

cant beat it...the only thing that sucks about those kits is the TB gasket which leaks...buy some gasket maker and cut one of your own... and youll be done.

EDIT: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=7966821664&category=46098&sspagename=WDVW
this is a set for 95 bucks plus shipping. ive used this set a few times...

This is the set I'm using to rebuild my motor as well... Add 25 or 30 bucks for the complete conversion set (I needed this for my full rebuild -- a headgasket job just needs the regular kit).

As for the headgasket from toyota -- it does not suck... It just doesn't like to hold the kind of boost levels we put it through which are FAR from stock :) There are plenty of people running in the 300-400rwhp range with a well prepped block, OEM headgasket & arp's torqued to 72-85 ft/lbs. It was the low factory torque on these gaskets that made them fail more than any kind of design flaw.

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
kamil said:
This is the set I'm using to rebuild my motor as well... Add 25 or 30 bucks for the complete conversion set (I needed this for my full rebuild -- a headgasket job just needs the regular kit).

As for the headgasket from toyota -- it does not suck... It just doesn't like to hold the kind of boost levels we put it through which are FAR from stock :) There are plenty of people running in the 300-400rwhp range with a well prepped block, OEM headgasket & arp's torqued to 72-85 ft/lbs. It was the low factory torque on these gaskets that made them fail more than any kind of design flaw.

ive seen them fail numerous times...it isnt just the stock torque levels...its also the closeness of the cylinder walls and odd water jacket placement...

bottom line is why waste your time with a stock hg that costs prob as much if not more from toyota when you can get a hks or even better cometic one for about 120 bucks...

kamil

87T Targa
Apr 4, 2005
Tucson, AZ
Because not everyone can wait/pay to deck the head and/or block ;) But yea, inevitably the metal hg is your better choice.

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Idealsupra said:
ive seen them fail numerous times...it isnt just the stock torque levels...its also the closeness of the cylinder walls and odd water jacket placement...

bottom line is why waste your time with a stock hg that costs prob as much if not more from toyota when you can get a hks or even better cometic one for about 120 bucks...

Thats not the issue for me. I was going to buy the arps and get a cometic HG but I was told that if you don't deck the block it will blow. I can't afford it time wise and money wise to pull the block.

CSquared

Apr 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA
TurboWarrior said:
Thats not the issue for me. I was going to buy the arps and get a cometic HG but I was told that if you don't deck the block it will blow. I can't afford it time wise and money wise to pull the block.

yeah last time around i actually went out and bought the arp studs and the hks metal headgasket. It really came down to the fact that i didnt have anymore time or money to fund the project.

I also dont have an engine hoist or anything like that... So i made a call and stupidly just went with a toyota headgasket.

Im sure most people are discouraged just as i was... my advice though... dont be stupid. If you are going to have the motor pulled apart you are already half way there... might as well pull the block and go metal headgasket.

EDIT: I've also used one of the "cheap" headgasket sets such as the one you are looking at. For the price i recommend it. No problems so far. The toyota headgasket on the other hand... ;)

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Mine blew on my old 89t and i put the stocker in at 75lbs. It went for over a year at 10psi. So im not too afraid of it blowing. I wish i could do the block but i just don't have the time for it to be down right now. its my DD.

are there fabric HGs out there that are better than toyotas?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
TurboWarrior said:

WOW...BIG misconception...you DO NOT need to deck the block for a COMETIC hg. thats what makes them so much better then the hks or greddy ones...

for a cometic you simple need to resurface the head and check the block for warpage...if there is none... which more then likely there isnt....simple clean the surface with a razor blade and brake cleaner so its nice and smooth...and youre good to go with the cometic.

the RA on the cometic is a lot more forgiving then the hks or greddy mhg which DO need the block resurfaced.

HTH

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Idealsupra said:
WOW...BIG misconception...you DO NOT need to deck the block for a COMETIC hg. thats what makes them so much better then the hks or greddy ones...

for a cometic you simple need to resurface the head and check the block for warpage...if there is none... which more then likely there isnt....simple clean the surface with a razor blade and brake cleaner so its nice and smooth...and youre good to go with the cometic.

the RA on the cometic is a lot more forgiving then the hks or greddy mhg which DO need the block resurfaced.

HTH

If thats the case im rebuilding with that then! I started a thread on SF and i was weined away from it because they said it was a big risk. are you certain? I know that hks is like 20ra and cometic is like 50? thats enough lee way?

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
TurboWarrior said:
If thats the case im rebuilding with that then! I started a thread on SF and i was weined away from it because they said it was a big risk. are you certain? I know that hks is like 20ra and cometic is like 50? thats enough lee way?

yes i would swear by my life on cometic...as long as you check your block with a machinists straightedge...and its not warped...you can simply clean it off and make it smooth with a razor blade and brake cleaner...and have your head resurfaced and youll be good to go...

TurboWarrior

Apr 1, 2005
Canada
Idealsupra said:
yes i would swear by my life on cometic...as long as you check your block with a machinists straightedge...and its not warped...you can simply clean it off and make it smooth with a razor blade and brake cleaner...and have your head resurfaced and youll be good to go...

well thats great news. If I wanted one wheres the fastest place I could get it from? I hear they are backordered a lot.