Hurricane Katrina heading for Me(us coastal areas)

Justin727

T-virus infected
Well the damn storm is heading my way and it looks like we're gonna get the bad side of it. That last few we got the good side of it. I'm sure people are like WHAT GOOD SIDE?!?!? Well they have good sides unfortunatly.
But I live in Biloxi Mississippi so wish me luck guys! Last few hurricanes I could stay online during the storm but this one is gonna be bad. Gonna stay here and hold the house down with my Sisters, G/f, Son, and my mother...
Errrrrrr :icon_conf

TONY!

Habitual Supra Killer
Mar 30, 2005
Tonyland
Man, this has me worried for you and yours. We have other guys down in that area too: Bishop, Drunk_Medic, and JJH are in that area I believe.

I can't give much advice as I have never been in a hurricane.
The only thing I could say/wonder is remove anything that can get thrown at the house and cars from the winds. Do they cut/trim branches as a procedure before hurricanes? I would think that doing that would decrease the chances of having them fall down.

Wishing you the best, to those that have to deal with this crap.
When it snows here, I act like a disaster just happened -- I hate snow and the mess it makes.
Can you imagine how I would feel if were in your shoes?

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
Good luck!

I was in Fort Walton Beach, FL during Dennis a month or so back. Which is right where it hit. Luckily that one kind of wimped out on us.

~Meg

Justin727

T-virus infected
well its at a catagory 5 storm... 175mph winds. Its as bad if not worse then hurricane camile that hit in 69 and just wiped out the coast of mississippi. well. hopefully ill be able to get online within the next 3 days im gonna say power will be off within that period of time. If i havent been on in a week start to worry

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Meggs, you were in FWB during Dennis? Hell, I practically LIVE in FWB - I live on Hurlburt Field.

I am not evacuating - my house is brick and I live on a military base. We're on the border of where it's supposed to hit, but I'm not TOO worried - unless it turns towards us. At least I have plenty of MREs to eat. Time to fill the bathtub...

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
dont worry justin, ive been praying to the hurrican gods, in 6 hours it will turn and go back into the sea,

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
drunk_medic said:
Meggs, you were in FWB during Dennis? Hell, I practically LIVE in FWB - I live on Hurlburt Field.

haha, ya... I wet down there for a bit when my boyfriend (Outofstep) moved down.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
guys guys

cane andrew was no where near this stregth of this beast. And cane andrew totally DESTROYED the NOAA HURICANE fortress in south Florida!!. That was pure cement and STEEL. If that didn't survive what makes you think that a wooden house will survive??

The only thing is see in this cane is that i don't even think the forecasters know where it is going. It is a damn top with the way it is zig-zagging.

Justin727

T-virus infected
i agree with ya figgie man. This damn thing is acting just like a top. Camille that hit the mississippi coast back in 1969 just leveled everything.. Winds of Camille was 225mph but passed quickly.. This storm is suppose to be slow moving and will probably last 12 hours if not more. So it will be a killer and that probably wont describe the half of the storm

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
figgie said:
guys guys

cane andrew was no where near this stregth of this beast. And cane andrew totally DESTROYED the NOAA HURICANE fortress in south Florida!!. That was pure cement and STEEL. If that didn't survive what makes you think that a wooden house will survive??

The only thing is see in this cane is that i don't even think the forecasters know where it is going. It is a damn top with the way it is zig-zagging.

You do have to keep in mind that Andrew, for a period of time, kind of stood still over Florida. It just basically stopped and continued to keep it's strength because it was feeding off the waters that surround Florida. That's why it caused to much damage, not necessarily because of it's strength, though it was strong, but because it hit the area for such a long period of time. With a hurricane hitting Louisiana it can't really do that.

Not saying Katrina isn't something to worry about, but it can't really do what Andrew did in the sense that Andrew continued to gain strength after making landfall. Once Katrina hits it should lose strength, maybe not quickly, but it wont be able to maintain let alone grow like Andrew did.

That said, I don't envy anyone down there at all. And it will cause a LOT of damage. I hope those of you down there make it out okay and with relatively little damage.

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
they are predicting that the french quarter will just be flat out gone... yikes... if it doesn't level the city, it'll be months and months before people will be able to go back into the area.

aka Kactabigun

Aug 13, 2005
Newcastle England
I hope you guys are safe and well. You dont half get some freak weather over there dont you's.We just get rain most days in the UK.
Insurance premiums must be high in allot of areas.Probably not worth the paper its writen on eh!
Good luck anyway.

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
My company's actually been working on making various VA facilities more "Huricane ready"... one of the places is in New Orleans... we'll see how it goes.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
I'm keeping an eye on this, as I am about 60 miles from the AL/FL border - 40 miles or so east of Pensacola.
Today was me and my wife's 3 year wedding anniversary. I was able to wake up and make her breakfast, relax for a couple minutes and the phone rang - I had to go in to work this morning to help launch the aircraft out of here.

As for the storm, I am not terribly worried, but a little shift in the system could really bone us. At the point Saturday night when they decided not to launch the aircraft was what did us in - that was where you say "if the storm shifts, we have to get the aircraft out of here TOMORROW instead. I'll be at work all day when I SHOULD be driving the hell out of here"; I couldn't have evacuated even if I wanted to.

I want to go to sleep, but I don't think it would be too wise. Maybe if I set an alarm for early morning, before it's supposed to hit? Shit, I don't know.

Katrina - definitely the ugliest girl so far at this year's prom. Nobody wants to dance with this bitch.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
drunk,

even if setting up the alarm... the storm is SUPPOSED to make land fall at 6am. And by that they mean the EYE. The windiest part of the cane. By right now I know NO is getting wind, rain and lots of it. And it steadily increases until the eye makes landfall and that is from now until 6 am. That is nearly 8 hours of getting pummeled with 80+ mph winds PLUS the rain and it just gets crazier from there and that is JUST to the center of the eye. THEN you have 8 more hours of crap as the cane passes over head into land. SO at least 16 hours of a fucking roller coaster ride that I bet NO ONE will forget.

Eglin AFB? I am surprised that the AF didn't learn their lesson with Andrew in Homestead AFB at that time.