Where can I buy a downpipe for a N/A?

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Hey everybody. I've got a 1992 N/A with severe oil leaks (front/rear main seal, and oil pan gasket); thus I'm going to have to pull the engine in order to fix them. While the engine is removed, I can't bear reinstalling the first catalytic converter; of course, it robs power, but it also stores heat near the vulnerable 5 & 6 cylinders. Thus, I'm in the market for a downpipe to fill the gap. Does anyone know where I could buy such a thing, and about how much money we're talking here? I'm reasonably certain a Turbo DP will not do, making this a pretty rare part (apparently).

Thanks for any guidance you can offer!

-- Scott Goodson

Stretch

Tallest MK3 driver ever!!
Mar 30, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
935 motorsports has some of them I believe. They are black. Called headers for the n/a cars, just like on your dady's muscle car. :) They are pretty cheap too, when compared to all the turbo piping.
eric

Supraman

Mar 30, 2005
Sunnyvale
Now, I'm far from knowing my terminology in this area, but I'm not so sure I'm looking for headers to replace the exhaust manifold...indeed, the N/A upgrade "guide" located here implies that headers will only lead to the first cat, not replace it. Indeed, I think all I need is a pretty short length of pipe with some flanges on it, whatever you want to call it...however, clearly, it would be easier to buy one of these rather than have it made (provided they are available). Am I hopelessly misguided, or was my original intent unclear? Please advise.

Thanks again,

-- Scott Goodson

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
so what you are looking for is a "test pipe" which eliminates a cat...the problem with that is most of the test pipes are 3inches and not 2.5 which is the ideal exhaust diameter for your NA....

in all reality..if this is simply what you are wanting...you can take a 2.5inch pipe, cut off the flanges from the stock cat...bore them out to 2.5inches and weld them onto the pipe...then it would bolt right up.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
only problem with gutting is
1. the material contained the the cat isnt all that good for ya (read cancer causing)
2. if you ever get caught w/o a cat its a fix-it ticket
3. if you ever need to pass emissions (which seems to be speading as the years go on) you will need to buy a replacement (read lots of $$$)

just something t think about

Apr 4, 2005
california
MKIIINA said:
only problem with gutting is
1. the material contained the the cat isnt all that good for ya (read cancer causing)
2. if you ever get caught w/o a cat its a fix-it ticket
3. if you ever need to pass emissions (which seems to be speading as the years go on) you will need to buy a replacement (read lots of $$$)

just something t think about

ok... so your saying a 10 minute or less contact with whats inside the cat will cause you to have cancer ? :icon_roll

and thats why you gut out the cat you wont be cought without one... iull just look like its there lol...

and for there stock cat doesnt cost you much... you can also borrow one from the local supras ...