engine/running isues...

Mr.SelfDestruct

I build planes... yeah...
May 27, 2005
everett, WA
alright, this has been a lasting problem for awhile, the reason I waited so long is because I was planning to do a turbo swap, but that fell through, and I'm not going to get my license back only to be able to drive a car that barely runs, so here goes... I have a massive vacuum leak somewhere in the intake manifold and a somewhat serious oil leak from the pan that will be easily fixed with a gasket kit I'm getting from the place I work. However, the idle is erratic(to say the least), its running quite rich(or at least smells like it), and I have a feeling the timing is off a little(easy fix). I dont have acess to a scanner, so I dont know any codes it would send. nor do I have a volt meter or anthing like that, the closest thing to it I have is one of those 12v test lights. so any input or opinions would be greatly appreciated. :1zhelp:

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
to check for codes...there is a diagnostic box on the right side of your engine bay. It says diagnostic right on there i believe. All you have to do is make sure you car is off...stick a paper clip in there to connect them...then go in the car...make sure your a/c is off...and then start the car. The check engine light will then blink in a series of short and long beeps....count the number of each and that will show you what code you are throwing.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
its on the drivers side of the engine bay close to the brake master cylinder. Its about 3/4" wide by 2" long. The color is black or grey. It says diagnosis on top, and if you open the cover there are several pins. You will want to bring the TE and E1 pins of the connector. One should be in the middle of a group of pins, and the other should be diagonal from it, in one of the corners of that group of pins. I believe they are in the section that has 9 pins. The underside of the cover has a label on it that states the names of the pins.

supraman7mgte

Shut up,bitch!!
Apr 1, 2005
Sunny California
When you get inside,turn the key to the "start" position,and the "check eng" light will blink in code to tell you wassup. I don't quite remember the code information,but i'm sure it's on this forum somewhere.

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
sorry for not having the diagnostic box directly in the pic, but its the best i have. The box is circled in green on the right side of the pic

p56163_1.jpg

robbo185

Apr 6, 2005
Chicago
supraman2251 said:
I was hoping that wouldnt be it, see pics:it came without the cover

it should still work

*edit* im sure if you look in the for sale section here anyone that is parting out their car will have one. Not too many people ask for that cover

Mr.SelfDestruct

May 27, 2005
everett, WA
so I checked for codes... absolutley nothig!!! I dont know what to do... I figured out that part of the problem is that my timing is WAY off, but I cant do anything about that untill my idle is fixed. so I'm just gonna focus on the body of my car until I get my gaskets, maybe fixing the vacuum leak will fix the idle... oh well, for those who want to know, here is the site for finding out your error codes:

http://www.cygnusx1.net/supra/techtip/engineerrorcodes.html

Justin727

T-virus infected
use toyota FIPG for the oil pan and not the cork gasket. If you getting a big vacuum leak around the intake manifold recheck hoses and what not.. maybe a gasket is old and blown.(not HG) Just check or replace all your vacuum hoses with silicone ones

Mr.SelfDestruct

May 27, 2005
everett, WA
I've already checked all the hoses, I'm almost sure the vacuum leak is a gasket in the intake manifold somewhere. is the FIPG that silicone gasket-in-a-tube stuff?

Squid699

Manic Mechanic
Mar 30, 2005
Chesapeake, VA
when I was NA, I had issues with idle right before I started my Turbo conversion. When I took teh engine apart, it turns out I had a huge hole in the bottom of my plastic intake resonator (big can on the intake between the TB and AFM). Apparently the heat shields on the NA exhaust are really necessary!

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
I had an idle problem with my 82, it was really screwed up...... revved to about 1200 at idle, and then it would die back down to 5-600..... I just adjusted the little screw on the throttle body and it went away. I know, I know, this screw shouldn't be touched, the electro....... yeah, well it fixed it..... Just trying to help.