I hate surpas!

gmoney

supra is as stupid does!
Apr 22, 2005
CT
home1.myspace.com
OK finally got my supra running from its nap, and now i start it up it nocks a bit i figure its been siting now it has the worste rod nock i have ever heard! what should i do im tired of the unreliablilty! I dont know what i want to do should i
a. jdm engine with new hardware and metal headgasket arp studs ......or
b. 1jz swap? which would be cheaper and if so by how much? or the last option sell the piece and try a new car!

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
the amount of cash you'd put in the 1j swap, you could have a pretty sick 7m. i say rebuild the one you have, (even if it's a stock or .20 over rebuild) or get a JDM motor and build that one.

-shaeff

gmoney

supra is as stupid does!
Apr 22, 2005
CT
home1.myspace.com
dude i dont want to get rid of my car but it is always an option! as for the rebuild i heard that my crankshaft is gonna be shot due to the spun rod! as for the j-spec thats gonna cost a pennyto buy it then rebuilding it. what would i need as per to replace on the j-spec engine. My engine is shit to begin with! but i need someone who knows supras to do the build for me and do the re-install, due to the fact last time I did an engine swap i had problems and i dont want any more prolems with this car is I fix it.

1sic7

owner of the 5 day mk3
Apr 2, 2005
Long Island NY
www.ifxcc.com
gmoney said:
OK finally got my supra running from its nap, and now i start it up it nocks a bit i figure its been siting now it has the worste rod nock i have ever heard! what should i do im tired of the unreliablilty! I dont know what i want to do should i
a. jdm engine with new hardware and metal headgasket arp studs ......or
b. 1jz swap? which would be cheaper and if so by how much? or the last option sell the piece and try a new car!

im up to the point withthe last option with mine mine runs and all but im tired of the headaches of a old car seems like every week im replaceing somthing

madseacow

Apr 2, 2005
Buda, Tx
7m and your going to end up with the same problems of the last, esspecialy with your amount of maintainence. go 1j and it'll be bulletproof (from what I hear) however if you put your 7m together right (and keep oil in it) it'll be fine too.

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
The thing is that no motor is bullet proof!
When every thing is comes to a bottom, its you who is the failing bit.
You cant put a metal headgasket inn it and expect it to survive the 2 world war if you dont tune it right it will come out in more bits that you cant count!!!!

It's not about supras but every car you want easy hp in.
It will break if you dont do it right.
sorry but thats the truth, if you dont handel it, well then get your self a wheelchair.

Last edited:

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
rakkasan i so agree, but gmoney may want an answer.

OK here is how i think about it.

7M, alot of parts at a reasonable price. Proven to substain high power levels and it has been pushed too (10800 rev limeter seb supra the ausie beast)

1jz, newer technologie, made to be a turbo charged engine and a higher revlimiter stock.

It just want you want. if your gut says supra! stay and feel your wallet get ripped apart, becasue this is a never ending money game :icon_conf

I say go that route that makes YOU happie! it's what you want and not what others think, thats why we cant ansewer this.
But if your like me totaly owned by the mk3 go bye it!
In good and bad days, just like a marridge

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Ya know, the 1st thing I think of when I see someone say that is... I hate you.

Anywho, don't go 1jz, IMO thats a wimps way out. It has not been around long enough in our communities to know the ultimate reliability problems. not to mention nearly every part for it you'll need to special order/import from Japan. I say re-do the 7M.

gmoney

supra is as stupid does!
Apr 22, 2005
CT
home1.myspace.com
im not whining im just venting in anger! I know shit happens and all cars break if you beat on them im just tired of the never ending project thats all! I am planning on getting the JDM 7mgte and them making it able to old some power heres what i got so far, high volume oil pump, metal HG arp fasteners, all new clevite bearings, rods, stock pistons, and a new water pump, timing belt. im hoping thats all i need but if theres more let me know im trying to price out this horror, as opposed to the 1jz swap.

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
7M vs 1jz in price theres no arguing about the winner.

And i know about that anger thing :nono: Been standing next too it and said som harsh words, but they were only words.

I say build a 7M, other would say 1jz but i cant agree... it just to limited to japan and the 7M is proven to be a wery good engine

gmoney

supra is as stupid does!
Apr 22, 2005
CT
home1.myspace.com
im up for a rebuild! I should get a new crank shaft? which type of rods, pistons and crank? I am gonna buy a JDM engine and rebuild that engien because mine is shot!