fuel mod question?

gmoney

supra is as stupid does!
Apr 22, 2005
CT
home1.myspace.com
ok I know some about the lexus afm mod and i have read alot about it, my questin is which would be the least expensive possible route to gain the effects and not so much the cost with the exception i already have the lexus AFM. i know i need a fuel controller, injetors, and i think a AFPR. but which is the easiest and cheapest route using the stock turbo

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
you dont need a fuel controller right away. you already hae a lexus meter so you might as well use that (the MAFT is also an option..) 550s that are new arent that cheap, around 340 usually. used is fine, however get them cleaned and whatever in order to be safe.

you can use the lex/550s with no other mods. however, an adjustable FPR is important not only for tuning reasons later on down the line, but just to get a good idle out of the lexus AFM. the aeromotive FPR is good, not too expensive either. you can make all the fuel lines your self using aeroquip fittings and SS braided line. for the fittings on the mkiii that youll need to adapt to AN see drjonez's forum: mkiiitech.com all your information for this is right there.

gmoney

supra is as stupid does!
Apr 22, 2005
CT
home1.myspace.com
so i dont need a fuel computer? thats awesome! But i do need injectors and a AFPR? thats fine, how hard is it to setup under the hood?

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
the walbro 225 is well worth its money!! i have one i installed and its great. you can really hear that thing pumping fuel while the engine is running. not bad for the price either.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
yes fuel pump is a great idea.

i have just installed 550s an AFPR and a lex AFM. it is looking like my fuel pump is taking a shit cause under boost at higher rpms i get preignition/detonation.

pulled the plugs today and number 5 was starting to melt! so before i get another BHG the car is being parked until the new fuel pump comes.

you dont NEED an AFPR however its not very expensive and its something you wont likely need to upgrade any time soon.

bcg04

The Don
Mar 31, 2005
Med-City, USA (Rochester, MN)
IMHO: Walbro pump, new fuel filter, Lex AFM, 550's, replace stock FPR with AFPR, remove stock J-line restriction, replace stock FPD with SS line and do the 12v constant mod/rewire. But once you start messing with fuel you'll want to be safe and start thinking of fuel management and a wideband and tune. Viscious cycle, usually have to pay to play.

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
you can run the lex and 550s w/o anything else. *

*i do it w/ my sp61gt and have seen no ill effects. idles fine doesnt stall etc. i am however building up my fuel system now with a AFRP, new walbro, hks fcon and gcc and possibly a HKS VPC. the lex is really a stopgap for the time being before i go for bigger num,bers