Engine cuts out @2000rpm

klpierce

May 21, 2005
My kids car 87 supra non turbo yestercdaay started to cut out everytime he gets to 2000rpm ,checked code said couldbe throttle pos sensor got brand new one still dose the same thing , plus it now idles at about 1200 to 1500 rpm can anyone HELP THX :1zhelp:

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
klpierce said:
My kids car 87 supra non turbo yestercdaay started to cut out everytime he gets to 2000rpm ,checked code said couldbe throttle pos sensor got brand new one still dose the same thing , plus it now idles at about 1200 to 1500 rpm can anyone HELP THX :1zhelp:

Did you calibrate the CPS correctly? It's a pain to get correct, but if it's not it could very well be the cause of your continued problem.

klpierce

May 21, 2005
what is cps ?
the engine wont go over 2000rpm Its just like the test to check the fuel shut off when you short the 2 terminals on the connector to the tcs

klpierce

May 21, 2005
Well we replaced the tps with one from a junkyard befor and didnt have to do anything and it ran fine till the other day (how do you cal the tps) now you cant go over 40mph if you can go that fast like i said engine wont go over 2000rpm then the fuel gets shut off till it drops again below thenruns ok but has a high idle

boost fiend

Banned
Jul 24, 2005
Rockford, Il
might just have a bad ecu. but then again, is any used electronic part from a yard good? the couple extra bucks and a trip to the parts store might just be a better idea.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
the ECU rarely fails in these cars. when installing a new TPS you need to calibrate it. dont know how to do it? here ya go: supratsrm.com

and IMO boost fiend is very wrong. many times you will find excellent condition parts from the junkyard, it dosnt hurt to look. and it is not a "couple of extra bucks" for the price of a TPS from a junkyard and the price of one from toyota (good luck finding a parts store that sells new ones..)

and again i say the ECU is usually the very LAST thing you would suspect when diagnosing problems.

gixxer750

2jzget comingsoon!
Mar 30, 2005
Mississippi
I have had an ECU fail before....so it can happen. BUT.... my 88 turbo had the EXACT same problem about a week ago. I put a new TPS on a calibrated it correctly, and it worked perfect from then on out. Unplug it, and see if that improves the situation. When I unplugged mine, the car would rev over 2k rpm, but didn't have much power because the ECU responded by pulling the timing. I have a feeling its the calibration. I set mine by ear, but most will tell you that you need an ohm meter and such

tubbie

Yes, powerful Jedi....
Apr 4, 2005
Hoschton, GA
Check your air meter. A while back, my brother's supra did that same thing. Turned out the air meter is bad. The ECU uses the idle maps to 1500rpm and then changes to the regular fuel maps. That's when the ECU uses the air meter to run the fuel maps. IF you have a dead meter, that's when your car stops reving.

klpierce

May 21, 2005
Well my took it to the shop yesterday and found out we installed the TPS incorrect , I dont know how we managed to that But we did ?? That only cost him $154 !!!
THX for the help