T4 Turbo swapa anyone

W

womenslider

hi guys
has anybody on here done a turbo swap from the ct26 to a t4 garret as ive picked up a cheap mk3 manifold which fits a t4 garret and i was wondering if it was a big job?
laters
wade

spoolint78

Representing T.O
Mar 30, 2005
T.O
are you asking has anyone upgraded to a t4 turbo?

if so, yes there are plenty of people on these forums with different turbo set-ups

you will need oil lines, custom downpipe, turbo adapter
wastegate, and a few more

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
I've not done such a swap myself, but all the cars I've seen with such setups have had everything Spoolint mentioned, and some air/fuel modifications -- bigger injectors, standalone fuel management, etc. You'd probably need a bigger fuel pump, too.

I don't think it would be a huge project, but it would probably require a fair amount of time and money. I think it would be worth it in the end, though. :)

W

womenslider

yeh it was the engine management i was wondering about would i have to buy a complete system or could i use the existing one by modifying the original turbo elbow so i can still run the std lamba sensor

any advice welcome

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
womenslider said:
yeh it was the engine management i was wondering about would i have to buy a complete system or could i use the existing one by modifying the original turbo elbow so i can still run the std lamba sensor

any advice welcome

Well, the turbo elbow is one of the most restrictive parts of the stock exhaust system, and is usually one of the first things that get upgraded. I think you would need to replace the turbo elbow anyway, to be able to bolt up to the T4 turbo.

[begin talking out of ass]

As for the Lambda sensor, I think you'd still need a piggyback computer or at least an ECU reprogram to take advantage of that.

[end talking out of ass]

A lot of the time, when reading about big turbo upgrades, you won't see some of the little things mentioned because it is assumed that those mods will have been done prior to the turbo upgrade. The general list of modification order can be found at http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152334 .

I couldn't even begin to say what the advantages of a standalone system would be over a piggyback, or vice versa, except that piggybacks are cheaper. It would seem to be a question that's been answered before, though:

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2916&highlight=standalone+piggyback

...and a few threads on Supraforums. Looks like the general concensus is that piggybacks are appropriate for 300-500rwhp, whereas standalones are considered to be a necessity for over 500rwhp, and a safer way to tune all around.

Another good thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=186288&highlight=big+turbo+standalone+piggyback

ECU reprogramming - http://www.monsterhorsepower.com/ - EXPENSIVE, costs almost as much as standalone

Not the definitive answers you were probably looking for, I know, but hopefully that'll get you started.

Last edited:

Charlie97L

Jul 16, 2005
Clarksburg, MD
this isn't meant to flame, but on behalf of all us new supra owners out there, i know, i for one, would really apprectiate people NOT linking to SF regarding technical issues. we can't register over there, the whole thing is totally locked up. like, if it's for a post/thread like, wow isn't this cool, or look at the lip on those rims, fine, whatever, but this post is something i find interesting as a possible upgrade down the line, and i can't access most of the good resources.

in all honesty, my frustration is more directed at whoever caused SF to not accept new members, all those guys that apparently act like idiots over there, killing a good resource for the rest of us… sorry to rant, I know it’s not really appropriate for this post, and I don’t in any way want to take away from the topic, this has just been bugging me lately… and I want to go T4.

Thanks for that 7mpower link by the way, and the one non-sf link on the previous post.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off.

Spiv

hooligan
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando, Fl
spoolingt78 has got a good parts list you'll need.

Beyond that, there is no need for a standalone system. The stock computer can handle some very serious power, but as mentioned you'll need some fuel mods (first to get past fuel cut, then you'll eventually exceed the 440cc injectors). From what I gather, the stockers are good for around 385rwhp [safely]. I think jblmk3 managed somewhere around 425 on them? 550s are good for the limits of the stock bottom end, and are the reccomended upgrade since they match up with the lexus AFM mod. You'll need a fuel pump, and possibly an adjustable fuel pressure regulator to support the power the t4 will put down. I'd also reccomend some kind of fuel tuning device (SAFC) to get the most out of your upgrade.

northsupra

Normally Insane
Mar 30, 2005
Norway
i think that you cant go past som 55occ injectors on stock bottom end, but then you have less error margin in your tuning.

Eriol

Mar 31, 2005
Indianapolis
Charlie97L said:
this isn't meant to flame, but on behalf of all us new supra owners out there, i know, i for one, would really apprectiate people NOT linking to SF regarding technical issues. we can't register over there, the whole thing is totally locked up. like, if it's for a post/thread like, wow isn't this cool, or look at the lip on those rims, fine, whatever, but this post is something i find interesting as a possible upgrade down the line, and i can't access most of the good resources.

in all honesty, my frustration is more directed at whoever caused SF to not accept new members, all those guys that apparently act like idiots over there, killing a good resource for the rest of us… sorry to rant, I know it’s not really appropriate for this post, and I don’t in any way want to take away from the topic, this has just been bugging me lately… and I want to go T4.

Thanks for that 7mpower link by the way, and the one non-sf link on the previous post.

Sorry if I pissed anyone off.

Actually, I agree with you -- I'd like to see SupraMANIA become the definitive MK3 resource. The people here are much friendlier. Believe me when I say I scoured SM for that info before I linked SF. :)

The beginner's mod-list used to be cross-posted here, but it looks like it didn't get transferred from the old site to the new site.