Break in time for future mods?

Z

Zi4life978

Hey guys, I've got a 90T and I just recently got a lot of mods for her, and she's almost out of the shop. I'd do them myself, but i'm still in VT and I wanted my car to be ready by the time I get home from school. I just wanted to find out, what kind of break in time I should be looking at, before I really get on her. I know I'll have to break in the rebuilt turbo, but I wasn't exactly sure on the details.... also what kind of power do you guys think I would make with this kind of setup? I wanted to be safe then sorry here's the list so far. Thanks

Curent Engine MODS:
3in Blitz Nur Spec exhaust
Tanabe Downpipe
K&N Intake
NGK Plugs and Wires
TurboXS RFL BOV
A'Pexi AVC-R
HKS Turbo Timer

Suspension MODS:
H&R Lowering Springs
Tokico Blue Struts
Cusco Strut Tower Brace

MODS getting done:
Rebuilt CT-26 (60 trim unclipped) from Performance Techniques
Lex AFM
AEM FPR
AEM WB o2 Sensor/controller
RC 550's
Walbro FP
A'Pexi S-AFC II
3in Test Pipe
Cometic MHG
ARP Head Studs
Port/Polish Job on the head
New Turbo Inlet Pipe
New Turbo Outlet Pipe
Valve Guides
Ferrea Valves

Halsupramk3

Apr 4, 2005
Mississippi
I dont see anything in your list that requires a break in. A turbo itself does not need a break in because it is just a bearing inside which with proper oiling and assembly from PT will work from the get go.

You did not mention anything about a engine rebuild other than a MHG. If you are keeping the original bottom end and did not have the block machined or new bearings put in or piston rings it should be broken in already. Hope the block surface is smooth enough. You are throwing a lot of mods at a old engine if it is still original oem. Whats the miliage? I hope it can take it.

If you have new bearings crank it up and idle it a few minutes and change the oil. If you have new rings too then change the oil after about every 500 miles 3 times and then start checking the compression. When the compression starts to level out your rings are seated.

BE SURE to set your electronics properly. You can blow up your car if the boost controller is not set properly or if the fuel computer is not set properly. Your base timing needs to be set of course and the base fuel preasure with the AFPR. These items on your list could give you the most problems if not set correctly.

Dont forget to put some high octane gas in the tank.

Z

Zi4life978

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the head is getting resurfaced. But as soon as I get the car bac, i'm taking it right to the dyno to have it tuned properly and get some numbers on her. The engine is is perfect shape less rhen 95K miles on her, and the first owner was some old lady, who never drove it that much, so everything is in working orde. I normally use 92 or 93 octane, but there's a place near my house, that has 97 and 100, so the fuel won't be a problem. Thanks a lot for the list!