Oil consumption and rebuild questions

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
I am noticing that my supra is burning a quart every 1000 miles of royal purple synthetic and usually after running the turbo lots. The turbo seal is probably going but I am wondering if supras burn any oil normally due to the super hot motor, turbo, etc. Also I am wondering if I rebuild this winter do you bore out the cylinders and use oversize rings+pistons or can you use oversize rings on stock toyota pistons. Any rebuild tips would be greatly appreciated and what you think.

Geoff

mrnickleye

Love My Daily Driver !
Jun 8, 2005
Mojave Desert, Ca
Pistons w/rings...bored 30-60 over is fine. Be sure to have the head done too. Its apart, so don't go cheap and take shortcuts, cause you'll just be doing it all over again, sooner than you'd like.

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
I like sticking to Toyota parts mostly and I am wondering if I can get the motor bored out around 0.020 and buy new toyota pistons that are the right size but are from say a lexus or bigger toyota motor. Would it work or just a waste of time.

Geoff

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Toyota do oversize pistons as a stock part.
<edit> may have given you a bum steer just checked and it looks like there are 4 sizes available but I'm not sure if they're 4 distinct OS's or 4 select fit sizes!

Aftermarket do +20's and +40's for sure though!

Last edited:

turbo

Mr. Clean
Apr 27, 2005
Calgary
Thank you very much for your help 1J. You answered all my q's and I am ready when rebuild time comes.