Tdc

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Getting ready to pull my head for reasons I've mentioned in other posts. Problem: Getting cam sprocket notches to point straight up.
Using the starter(perhaps not the best way) the notch rocks 180 from
2 o'clock to about 8 o'clock. Same with using a breaker bar. So the question of the moo-ment, TDC how do I get there?

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Isn't that the best position for the engine to be in when doing work like pulling the head, ie getting the timing correct during reinstallation>

Idealsupra

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Orlando
www.tampabaysupras.com
Wendigo said:
Isn't that the best position for the engine to be in when doing work like pulling the head, ie getting the timing correct during reinstallation>

blasphemy! just pull the bitch off... if youre going to reuse the timing belt just put an arrow which way it was on so you put it back on in the same rotation...

outside of that... fuck it...you can reset timing when you put it back together no problem ;)

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Umm, gulp, wendigo lacks Ideal's......ideal confidence. Please understand, that this is me first time doing such things(throw in a little Popeye accent for a chuckle). Hell, it took 3 days to get to where I was in a position to remove the head bolts.

And how do you adjust timing once back together?

rakkasan

Currahee!!
Mar 31, 2005
Fort Campbell, KY
Wendigo said:
Umm, gulp, wendigo lacks Ideal's......ideal confidence. Please understand, that this is me first time doing such things(throw in a little Popeye accent for a chuckle). Hell, it took 3 days to get to where I was in a position to remove the head bolts.

And how do you adjust timing once back together?

IIRC, when you put it back together, put your crank pulley timing mark on zero, and both your cams timing marks on the notches, then put on your belt. The only somewhat difficult thing to do is getting your cps back in lined up correctly.

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
keep the camcover off where the CPS is, that way you can see it perfectly. use JBLmk3's site to allign it. it works flawlessly!

-shaeff

Wendigo

Ericsplosion
Jul 25, 2005
New Paltz NY
Not really an issue now. Took the head off today...................Not only were first and sixth cylinders blown, but my rear exhaust valve on #5 had sheared snapped or whatever and chewed the ever living shit out of my head and piston. I think the head's shot, and am wondering what the easiest fix for the piston is. .............Wendigo MAD!........ must drink much Lager