MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Well its basically a 4 door supra....

I aquired a 87 cressida.

It needs some suspension on the left front and a rim for the left rear.

Runs fine, needs valve stem seals.

Auto tranny, but shifts nice.

My questions are this:

-Where can I find the suspention for the left front? Will a supra front susp. work?

-I have A W58 trans available to me. If I put it in, will the auto ECU freak?

-Where can I get some decent rims for this thing (they are 4 bolt) and what size are they? (4 x 100 etc etc)

-Are there any forums for these things?

Thanks guys!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Awww, man.. there's a guy "King Cobra" on I-Supra who is doing a 1JZ swap into a Cressida. I don't know his extent of knowledge on the Cressida, and I believe his car is staying auto with an auto ECU.

http://www.discountedwheelwarehouse.com/Toyota___Vehicle_Bolt_Pattern_Reference.cfm

If you go here, it says an '87 Cressida is 4x114.3. Sounds a little odd, as most 4-bolt are 4x100. I guess you can measure it on your own if you want.

I don't know about the whole auto ECU with manual tranny thing. Personally, I would keep a MT ECU with MT and AT with AT ECU, which is why I sprung for a 6-speed OBD1 MT ECU for my 2JZ swap. My fear was that with the extra signals running out of the AT ECU, if you put a manual transmission on, there are going to be some signals missing and the ECU might start to act strange, re-learn, dink with the fuel maps, go into "safe mode" and retard timing.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Oh yeah... I'd say you can get suspension parts from a junkyard. If your local one fails, try an "online junkyard".

As for rims - I am sure you can find some decent 4-bolt rims out there. Most of the crap-tacular 4-bangers that you see around town are 4-lug, and you KNOW how much THEY love rims. Most rim manufacturers cater to these kids. Just make sure you find out the definite specs of the pattern.

MDCmotorsports

Offical SM Expert: Turbochargers
SM Expert
Mar 31, 2005
Indy 500
www.MDCmotorsports.com
Thanks man....

From what I have gathered from Thermactor.com, there was actually a 1jz cressy just like our 1jz supras!

Any who.... I found this like finding gold! It was locked back in the back, and had just gotten there... clean title and all!

I would like to find a cool "89" style steering wheel for it, get the suspention fixed, drop it, rim it, put some exhaust on it, and find a 5mge mk2 supra exhaust header for it.

WALA ! DAILY DRIVER!!!!

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
If you want a "cool" steering wheel for it, look for a JZA70 Momo steering wheel. I believe the Supra and Cressida share the same steering hub/adapter, but don't quote me on it. If you look around online, you can confirm this.

Here's a pic of mine:
wheel.jpg

ma71supraturbo

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Redding, CA
www.geocities.com
The bolt pattern is 4X114.3, toyota used the same circle diameter, just 4 lugs instead of 5... I believe the cressida shares shocks/springs with the MK2 supra, but check thermactor's forum for confirmation. You can run a manual on the auto ECU, you just need to short the neutral start switch so it will start -- and some additional wiring if you want reverse lights and cruise control to work. You will need a custom driveshaft though

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
One option you may want to look out for is asking the Australians if any of them have done this. I believe you could find this out on the Australian Toymods forum. Who knows.. maybe there is a tranny or driveshaft that is perfect for this, and we just don't know because we don't have access to all of the extra wonderful Japanese car models and parts that the lucky Aussies do.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
my mate and i are undertaking transplanting his 5m cressida with a 7mgt.The tailshaft front section in the a340e and the centerbearing back is cressida.Using the 5m mounts and bolting them 1 set of bolt holes further to the front of the engine than the 7m mount holes the 7m with a 5m sump and oilpump sits in the bay like it was "meant to beeee"Just gotta change the oilfilter elbow/bracket, use the 5m radiator hose with the 7m radiator,grind a bit off the ac bracket to let the compressor bolt flush to it,the ma70 ic even fits in the front (didnt have to remove bumper to fit,just trimmed the hood latch support at the base)Still got a few more things do tinker with and then happy trails till a diff or driveshaft blows

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
ohh i forgot,the mk2 rear suspension can fit in a cressida,u gotta unbolt the whole ass end apparently and swap but the diff's can swap,the front is mc pherson struts i think.