Custom FFI update w/ pictures!

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
1/17/06 CHECK 4TH PAGE FOR PICTURES OF NEWEST ONE!!!!!!

Well I finally got to work on my manifold again tonight, made some good progress here are the pics. I only went with a 3" ID housing as I will be using the stock TB with it. But I will be making a 3.5" ID one as soon as I get another set of runners and will be using a Q45 tb with it! Hope you all enjoy :bigthumb:

p53488_1.jpg

p53488_2.jpg

p53488_3.jpg

The manifold will be flowed and tested before I will start making them to make sure there are no obviouse draw backs. Email me at sethron71@yahoo.com or PM with any direct questions. Thank you for your time.

Thanks,
Seth Ingham
Sleeper Designs

Last edited:

jt2ma71

Impeller Head
Mar 30, 2005
Washington State
www.cardomain.com
For a second there I thought you were using some of my pictures, then I noticed those are not my welds!! j/k. Good job, Seth. You might want to blend/match the ports on the plate to the runners more, making that line disappear. Here's how I've been doing mine. If you weld it inside, it gives you more material to work with and really make the joint disappear. And notice how you can make the bell entry a lot bigger. More fabricating secrets revealed/shared here. Good luck on yours.

port.jpg

clean.jpg

Last edited:

siman

Lifetime Ban
Mar 31, 2005
Murfreesboro, TN
www.cardomain.com
Whoa! Super!

That looks pretty darn easy to create myself! What gauge al. metal sheet are you using for your manifold housing? Thats something I have been debating for a while is what thickness I would need.

I also am thinking of making a hand hammered manifold housing....using a wood template of size and curvature and heat up the al. with a torch and then just bend and hammer it to fit....seems like a good idea....its the way they used to make them back in the day :naughty:

-Jonathan

meggs521

Apr 6, 2005
South Bend
Looks good!

siman said:
Whoa! Super!

That looks pretty darn easy to create myself!

That's kind of what I was thinking... but I know if I tried to make it everything would end up all jacked up.

~Meg

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Seth: Brilliant!

Ron: Thanks for sharing!
(I need to make a new short runner manifold for the high RPM 7m I'm building next)

Anyone else: That thinks this looks easy time for a reality check NONE of it is easy and you'd be far better off buying from Ron, Seth JDM Fantasy or any of the guys making them as they're seriously cheap at the prices charged!

Figure in 3>5K for a GOOD Tig and unless you have access to a machine shop quite a few $$$ for machine work as Aluminium Plate in the thicknesses used isn't easy to cut/work with basic hand tools.

I'm not trying to piss anyone off here just trying to give an idea what's involved.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
sethron71 said:
Thanks guys! IJ thanks for the response! Ron thanks for the input and ideas! Will finish it up tomorrow!

Seth Ingham
Very welcome Seth!

As I said it's not easy and if my care didn't have so many custom bits I'd buy one ready made from you guys!
(not to mention airfreight costs and customs duties)

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
Just curious, but does anyone have dyno data on the tourqe gains or losses using the longer FFIM that is two part v/s a short runner design like this one? (And the top end power gains from the shorter runners?)

Also, looking at this again, would it be possible to make the throttle body lower, and re-position the alternator higher so you could retain AC and still fit a short runner FFIM? (Basicly the throttle body would be over, or just infront of the AC clutch, and the alternator would sit a few inches higher and need a longer belt to work. (And possibly a new lower bracket in combination with a custom upper bracket that moves the top bolt up a few inches.)

Just thinking out loud, but some dyno data between the long and short runners would be nice. (I like the fact that with a long runner intake, I can keep my AC, and alternator pretty much in the right places.)

Justin

Speakers?
Mar 31, 2005
Spokane, Wa
Adjuster said:
Just thinking out loud, but some dyno data between the long and short runners would be nice. (I like the fact that with a long runner intake, I can keep my AC, and alternator pretty much in the right places.)

dyno data would be excellent, I would be very interested.

I like the short runners though, I think they look great, and I like how much it cleans up the engine bay... not saying the long runner doesn't, but yeah :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Ditto to Adjuster's post I'd be very interested in some data!

I'll have dyno figures for both but they won't be a direct comparison as I'm using the long runner manifold on my base motor that is just a stock rebuild and the short runner one will be on a fully built new motor (cams headwork big valves forged pistons and rods and so on)

Dec 3, 2003
Canada
Much better than the first ones Seth. Must say. Good job. Nice of you Ron to help along since you have been making these for a while. Props to you as well dude. ;)

Duane

PS: Are you going to flow test them as well Seth like Ron's?

sethron71

Authorized Vendor
Jul 19, 2005
Las Vegas, NV
www.SethIngham.com
upgradedsupra said:
Much better than the first ones Seth. Must say. Good job. Nice of you Ron to help along since you have been making these for a while. Props to you as well dude. ;)

Duane

PS: Are you going to flow test them as well Seth like Ron's?

Yea Duane I am going to flow test it as well. Also am going to try and dyno it this weekend since I will be in Portland racing cars anyways. I will hopefully be able to get over to TF and since I have not made any other changes besides the FFIM when I get it done I will be able tomorrow, I will be able to see a direct comparison. I actually requested flow information from Ron so we can make comparisons as how many inches you flow it at makes a huge difference and can be a very false reading. My first manifolds that I had flowed were at 25" so we will see what this does at that and then we will try and do a max flow number as well. Thanks for the compliments.

Sincerely,
Seth Ingham
Sleeper Designs