Fixed my A/C!!! w00t!!1!!11

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Well, my vacuum pump arrived at my house yesterday (robinair 15300 1/3hp, 3 cfm, dual stage vacuum pump) as well as my new dryer can and o-rings from Jeff Watson @ Champion Toyota. I had the system evacuated yesterday afternoon of all excess refrigerant and then I set my new pump to work sucking all that evil moisture out of the lines. After I turned off the pump and closed the valves on my gauges, it held the vacuum flawlessly. This had me stoked, so I proceeded to fill the system with Freeze 12 and it works FLAWLESSLY. Just be sure, kiddies, to use 10% less refrigerant when filling. The spy glass on my new dryer can a.k.a. accumulator is nice and clear and I FINALLY have cold air coming out of the vents to cool my hot body. :biglaugh:

I've never had a supra that has working a/c. Now I do!

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
figgie said:
Robinair is the name of the A/C company. Probably one of the best out there.

The pump I purchased kicks ass and takes names. It didn't take any time for the pump to pull the vacuum all the way down to 30 and hold it there.

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
Drake, i vacuumed mine down, held for 3 hours and then i put 134 in it and low and behold, i too have cold air, it is not like my 97 truck with 134 but so far it has been holding cold, i think i need to replace my rx/drier though then it would blast more cold air.
William 89T

Last edited:

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
Jetfixr757 said:
Drake, i vacuumed mine down, held for 3 hours and then i put 134 in it and low and behold, i too have cold air, it is not like my 97 truck with 134 but so far it has ben hloding cold, i think i need to replace my rx/drier though then it would blast more cold air.
William 89T

Did you flush out the oil in the compressor? If you didn't, that may eventually wear the sytem down. Also, you do need to replace that dryer can when you get on things again. It wasn't hard and only costs $33.xx from Jeff Watson @ Champion Toyota. ;) Isn't cold air nice?!

Jetfixr757

Sleeper
Mar 30, 2005
Cocoa, Florida
No i did not flush the compressor i just used a kit for autozone, that is what the toyota mechs said works, but if i replaced the rx/drier i would probably get better cooling results from the system, that price for a toyota part is excellent i will call him in the morning.
Cold air is nice.
William 89T

suprajjang

Supra Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2005
VA
D34DC311 said:
is this like a pun? robinair, (robing air)
lol i have A/C but never use it.
i have ac also but dont use it even in 100 degree weather since it brings my mpg from 12 to 9 in my stock mkiii :icon_mad:

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
suprajjang said:
i have ac also but dont use it even in 100 degree weather since it brings my mpg from 12 to 9 in my stock mkiii :icon_mad:

Its not the a/c, I got 21.5mpg with a/c running 85mph accross texas in 95 degree heat last month.

Last edited:

DrakeMK3

"The Duck"
Mar 30, 2005
Knoxville, TN
figgie said:
<-- Has a robin air 6 cfm vacuum pump ;) Well worth the money as I have fixed other people vehicles that do not have working a/c :) A mini side business :)

Don't take this the wrong way figgie, but I bought my air compressor thinking of you and your side business. :love: :biglaugh:

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
If your going to run R134 in your R12 based system, you have to stay with that R134 from that point forward. (You can't go back.)

Also you should replace the Reciever/dryer (the can with the sight glass) as it's a filter and dessicant container, and holds/retains some oil and traps water in the system. If you convert to R134 w/o changing the Reciever, you are going to contaminate the R134. IIRC, it's the oil used in R12 that is not compatible with the R134 stuff.

Side note: R134 is not as good as R12 at doing it's job, so you need more of it, in a larger system to cool the same size interior. IE: They make the new R134 systems much larger than the old R12 ones.
Every converted R12 system will not get as cold as it used to. Some are so marginal it's not worth it IMHO. In traffic, at a light in 100+ weather, your going to see the R134 fail to keep the car cool.
I don't know about Freeze 12, but I've heard it's better than R134a.

One more note is fuel economy. The R12 stuff is going to get you the best mileage as the system does not have to work as hard to maintain the temp your asking for inside. (Automatic systems on the Supra.) My car is getting better than 20mpg at 82mph with the AC on at 69f. With the window's down, I think the mileage is about the same, so I'd rather have the cooler, quiet interior.

Technically you could run many types of gas in there, including propane, but when you wreck the car, the gas would either kill you as a poison, or burn you to death when it catches fire. The Dupont Freon's are less leathal, and more effective when charged/designed right. (How about an amonia based cooling system? Cheap to charge, but it would kill you if it leaked. Amonia loves water, and will go after wet tissue like your lungs and eyeballs first, then the rest of you as time allows.) Good thing they don't use amonia, and should not use propane in AC eh? (I've heard an urban myth that an AC system charged with propane caught fire and burned the car down with the driver, but never actually seen any photos, or the police report etc.)

BTW, my gauges/hoses etc. are all Robinaire. (Made in South Africa actually.) Freon is Dupont R12, and I have a nice 30lb bottle of it, with about 16lbs left. (Had this stuff for many years, bought it before they outlawed it in the USA, but you can go to Mexico right now, and buy a full bottle for a few hundred bucks. If you get caught at the border, they will fine you and confiscate it however.)