Rednecks

Supra Sound

Supra Newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Stafford VA
So i was wondering how much i have to do to my 90 turbo to beat all these damn rednecks with there 5.0s and old camaros, oh and these 2 guys with non turbo 300zxs?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
not much.
the rednecks in my area dont maintane their cars very well, so i can take them, most of them at least. and im NA.
the NA 300zxs u should be able to right now.
the 5.0s if they arent moded out the ass, then they only push 157hp, sad huh. u can take them if they arent modded or slightly moded.
also driving does count for something, take them to a windy road and the 300s will only be able to tag along, :)

glntom

Apr 13, 2005
Glenwood, AR
Supra Sound said:
So i was wondering how much i have to do to my 90 turbo to beat all these damn rednecks with there 5.0s and old camaros, oh and these 2 guys with non turbo 300zxs?

Very little, the local variety redneck here in arkansas can be left behind by my wife's 5mge MKII.

Supra Sound

Supra Newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Stafford VA
cool i have a 3" exhaust and dp from 935 coming pretty soon and store credit that im gonna use for a mbc so should not have any problems. Good to know

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
Get a boost gauge, if you don't already have one [and the stock one doesn't count].
You need something accurate to help you measure and "tune" your car for 10-12psi. after you install your exhaust components.
Don't forget an intake of some type, and a test pipe, or hollow catalytic converter.

Supra Sound

Supra Newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Stafford VA
the exhaust makes it so i cant use a cat and i made my own maf adaptor and put a crap filter on it so i guess you could call that an intake...

Do you think i would need 10-12 psi like above poster said b/c i dont feel comfortable with putting out more boost than my gauge can handle.

doom26464

Research...research
Mar 31, 2005
Saskatoon SK, Canada
www.cardomain.com
Supra Sound said:
the exhaust makes it so i cant use a cat and i made my own maf adaptor and put a crap filter on it so i guess you could call that an intake...

Do you think i would need 10-12 psi like above poster said b/c i dont feel comfortable with putting out more boost than my gauge can handle.

mabye put on 2 shims thats what i did. IT will put u right under 8 psi so your stock gauge is still good to go.

drunk_medic

7Ms are for Cressidas
Apr 1, 2005
Woodstock, GA
How about "buy a boost controller"?

Seriously, it's not HOW MANY washers you use for shimming the wastegate - it's the THICKNESS of the washers you use. This is why you need a boost gauge - because Jim-Bob Supra owner across town says "Yeah, just use seven washers and you will have like 10psi" and you do it - and then you are hitting fuel cut because your car isn't just like his, OR the more likely case, that your washers are thicker and you over-shimmed. Shell out the cash for a boost gauge, some vacuum hose and a 3-way [tee adapter] for the vacuum hose. I can understand if you are too cheap to shell out $300-$500 for an electronic boost controller, but a manual boost controller and an accurate boost gauge? THEN you are going two steps further by just shimming without a good gauge. It's asking for trouble. Do you think I would try and tune my air/fuel ratio with a crappy "dancing light" A/F gauge and an old stock 02 sensor? HELL no. If you want to REALLY get down to it, I wouldn't want to without a pyrometer, either.

Do it right, at least in the simplest fashion. Don't f*ck up that car.

Supra Sound

Supra Newbie
Jul 24, 2005
Stafford VA
im not planning on it :) Well im kinda poor right now but i can get a mbc for $6 if i use some store credit i have but i would still have my stock boost gauge.