Extrude hone stock exhaust manifold

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Hey guys, recently I have decided to end my power building plans with an SP61GT or the like of bolt on turbos because I'm not going for huge power and it should save me a lot of money then going full upgraded turbo kit. However added to the bolt on turbo I was thinking of porting the exhaust manifold.

A local machine shop sent me in the direction of extrude honing instead of him porting it from a cost and quality standpoint. Its $650 for their "stage 2" honing process for the stock manifold; and ~25 for shipping.

I was wondering if you guys think of the process in general if you have or know anyone who has experience with it. And also from a performance standpoint; having the stock manifold ported will decrease spool up time overall will it not? But is it $700 worth it?

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
I think that it is just waste of money and time! Stock mani is bad designed, besides that when walls become thinner, it may crack...

IMHO, much better to fabricate custom well-designed manifold with Toyota flange for using with CT-26 or bolt-ons...

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I was second guessing the whole process as well.

I just don't know where I can go to have that kind of work done (custom manifold) and still have it be worth the money.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
What about getting the stock manifold ceramic coated. Would that be worth it if I decide to keep it?